Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is it a shooter? >

Is it a shooter?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it a shooter?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:21 AM

Default RE: Is it a shooter?

i wouldnt hesitate to take him
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Typical Buck

You will achieve whatever standards you set. I personally would not shoot him. However you have to start somewhere. If he gives you that feeling put him down and focus on a larger deer next year and keep uping your standards. I have killed many large bucks and my favorite deer was a 70lb doe that was my first bow kill. It is not always about the antlers it is about the hunt
Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

When we let others dictate what is exciting or an accomplishment, we lose the thrill of the sport. It is not a competition, it is a self fulfilling achievement. If he is legal and you would be proud of him, and the sight of him makes your heart thump and your emotions go on over-drive...then let that, be your guide!

If there was no internet and no picture posting..would that influence your decision?

Shoot well and may your track job, be short.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on what makes you happy. I swear these hunting shows are spoiling the fun for a lot of guys! I have killed a lot of deer in my life and that deer for me may or may not be shooter depending on the situation. Opening day of bow season, he is a shooter for sure. Mid November after I have a few in the freezer, probably not for me, but in your case I would not hesitate to shoot that buck, cut the antlers off and put them on the wall, enjoy the meat and savor the memories of the hunt. Keep in mind unless you can hunt larger tracts of managed land where everyone is is practicing buck management it really does little to let small buck walk unless you just dont' want to shoot it. Chances are the deer will be shot later in the year or maybe he will wise up and make it through the season. The main thing is do what will make you happy.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

When we let others dictate what is exciting or an accomplishment, we lose the thrill of the sport. It is not a competition, it is a self fulfilling achievement. If he is legal and you would be proud of him, and the sight of him makes your heart thump and your emotions go on over-drive...then let that, be your guide!

If there was no internet and no picture posting..would that influence your decision?

Shoot well and may your track job, be short.
I knew Bob would save me some typing.

The only added thought, your worried he won't make it through the season but if you shoot him, he won't make it through the season either. If your proud, what Bob said above. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

In my area he would walk and live through the season but maybe he wouldnt in yours..Idk it is all up to you and if he would really satisfy you.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 AM

Well, I wanted to hear different opinions on, not just whether this deer is a shooter but, rather if deer management if possible in my situation. I almost feel like if I am the only one in my area practicing proper management then I am pretty much sight seeing while everyone else is hunting. I have harvested so few deer, that every deer I see in the woods about gives me a heart attack from excitement. I am going to decide to let this deer walk and see if he makes it to the end of the season. I have only been hunting this particular area this season and who knows there is bound to be bigger deer roaming these woods. Thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

No. You ask my opinion your going to get it. I personally see no prize in a 110 lb yearling 5 point buck. Shoot the doe same result. JMHO!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

No. You ask my opinion your going to get it. I personally see no prize in a 110 lb yearling 5 point buck. Shoot the doe same result. JMHO!
and I appreciate everyone's opinion but, you must keep in mind the quality of deer in NC is much different then the deer you are used to in MN. As I said in my previous post I am going to choose to pass on this deer and hope to see him another season. BTW, count your points again.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personal choice only YOU can answer. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Is it a shooter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.