Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Young kids and hunting >

Young kids and hunting

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Young kids and hunting

Old 10-25-2008, 05:25 PM

Default Young kids and hunting

I seen on a hunting show the other day that people want to be able to get children hunting at a younger age. I know in some states kids have to be a certain age to do certain types of hunting. They had a group of people that think its a good idea to lower the age minimum. I was just curious on what peoples thoughts were on this subject. I personally think it could be good or bad. Bad because we have enough problems with people being careless in the woods and taking dumb shots and wounding animals or shooting other people. Haveing younger kids in the woods makes for more people in the woods which in turn makes for more mistakes. Its good idea for the simple fact they will become wiser better hunters given they have someone responsible teaching them. What do you all think?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Young kids and hunting

I know some 30 year old men that I would not trust in the woods. IMO it has to do more with maturty (spelling?) than age.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM

As a kid, well 15, Ill tell you that hunting is very boring when its raining and the wind is blowing and your cold as can be. But when you see a deer, all that is forgotten. To hook a kid on hunting you would have to make the hunt enjoyable.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:37 PM

You said it !!! As long as a responsible hunter teaches them and mentors them I believe hunting is great for kids. As parents and mentors I think we each know when our child is ready for things such as hunting. Just please remember make it fun for them and as safe as possible.

Dave

Old 10-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I think some of these states are crazy with the age limits so high. I've taken my son out with me since he was 5...training him all along. When he was 9 I got him his own rifle, and he took a doe that year. Last year at 10 he took 2 deer, including his first buck. He loves it and understands what to do & not do, etc....but still remains 100% supervised. He's not ready to be out there on his own. A couple more years, maybe.

BUT....to have him wait till he's 14 or 15 to even hunt - to me that is ridiculous.Those states will probably continue to have declining hunting numbers.

Another thing - all kids come along at different rates....just because some COULD hunt at 9 or 10, doesn't mean all could. Some might be 12 or 13 before they mature enough to be able to handle it. I have a 7yr old daughter, that I am bringing up the same way as I did my son. We'll seen when she gets the nod. So far she's doing pretty good...
Old 10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthernMDArchers

You said it !!! As long as a responsible hunter teaches them and mentors them I believe hunting is great for kids. As parents and mentors I think we each know when our child is ready for things such as hunting. Just please remember make it fun for them and as safe as possible.

Dave

Dave, very well said!!!!!! That's mytake on itas well!!!