HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Carbon Arrow Questions... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/269911-carbon-arrow-questions.html)

chrowski 10-25-2008 01:19 PM

Carbon Arrow Questions...

Hey all,
I'm thinking about switching to carbon arrows and I have two quick questions...thanks in advance for any advice.

1)Is there a standard size/diameter that most people use?
-This question is from my experience with aluminium arrows. For some reason, it seems that in my neck of the woods at least 50% of the people shooting aluminium arrows are shooting 2117's. I don't know why this is, but it caused me to switch to that type of arrow, because it was the most readily available type in all the shops around me. Does carbon have this equivilant?

2)Upon switching to carbon, has anyone noticed an increase in the number of pass-through shots that they achieve?
-I'm shooting a 60lb PSE and no matter what broadhead I use my arrow always stops once the BH is sticking 4-6'' out of the animal. Therefore resulting in lost BHs when the arrow breaks, which is annnoying b/c I'd rather find them and just replace the blades instead of buying a whole new set. So since going to carbon would result in a lighter, faster arrow, will it increase my # of complete pass-throughs? When you guys have switched, did you notice one sight pin accounts for a longer range of yardage?

TexasBowHunter 10-25-2008 01:32 PM

RE: Carbon Arrow Questions...

Carbon's don't have a sizing (diameter)like the aluminum's they only have a spine rating. I have been shooting the carbon's for years for huntingsince theyrequired the outsert's instead of inserts and have had good penetration with them. I always shot the aluminum's for 3-D but always hunted with the carbon's,mainly b/c of durability, I like the fact that (98% of the time) they are straight or broken rather than having a bent one in the quiver without knowing.....Good luck with it!!!

Roskoe 10-25-2008 02:25 PM

Aluminums have their good points, but it is no coincidence that about 95% of the archers (at least in this area) use carbons - or aluminum/carbons. I think the small diameter of the carbons - particularly the Easton Axis and other super slim shafts - will increase the probability of a pass through. Carbons are generally rated on a deflection scale - so a .500 series arrow is flexing 1/2" when a 1.94 lb. weight is hung from the middle; and a 340 series arrow is flexing .34" in the same test. Lots of charts to help you find the right shaft. And, as was stated earlier, with carbons you either have a good straight arrow or it's broken. Not this deal where you wind up with a bunch of not-quite-straight aluminum shafts that are not quite bad enough to throw away.

Lighter arrows are going to shoot a little flatter. Won't notice much difference until you get past 40 yards, though. At 60 yards, an arrow going 20 fps faster will drop about 6" less.

V8Ranger 10-25-2008 02:40 PM

How many yard are you shooting at to not get a pass through??? I had a PSE at 60# and I got a pass through at 35 yards last year on my buck. My broad heads are just like the muzzys. I do shoot carbon. I haven't shot Aluminumin many years. I like not having to worry about bending an arrow. Bur you still have to make sure the carbons are not damaged.

chrowski 10-25-2008 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: V8Ranger

How many yard are you shooting at to not get a pass through??? I had a PSE at 60# and I got a pass through at 35 yards last year on my buck. My broad heads are just like the muzzys. I do shoot carbon. I haven't shot Aluminumin many years. I like not having to worry about bending an arrow. Bur you still have to make sure the carbons are not damaged.
I'm not getting pass throughs at 15 yards and beyond. It's a PSE nova with a single hard cam. I've shot: Thunderheads, Muzzys, and most recently Rage 2-blade. The Rages get the deepest, my two kills withthe 2bladehad the arrow stop when the fletching started to enter the deer, while the other two BHs stopped the arrow about 2-4'' prior. I'm not a bad shot either....the shots are where they have to be.

bowdoc1 10-25-2008 04:49 PM

I can remember not getting a pass through. I shoot around 65 to 70 lbs and axis 400 at 415 gr.carbons. I blowed through a bull once at 40 yards. I also seen a friend blow through a big bull at 50 + yards with a acc arrowonce.Get yourself some good carbon arrows, the smaller diameter carbon shafts will help too and a cut on impact broad heads. You be blowing through every thing, cleaning the dirt off your broad heads and watching them go down dead.