Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever found someone else's dead deer? >

Have you ever found someone else's dead deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever found someone else's dead deer?

Old 10-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Have you ever found someone else's dead deer?

With a few posts being made on people taking their deer they previously shot (only find gutpiles where their deer should be)....it got me to thinking....

How many of you have ever walked up on a freshly killed deer.....from a hunting wound?

I have come across one. I took pictures of a 3 pointer I came across last year. He'd been gunshot and obviously not recovered. I'm certain this happens (as eveidenced by some of the recent posts on this forum).....but I'm wondering how common it is. Having no idea of when the deer was shot.....and not knowing if the hunter was still planning to recover it....I left it alone.

Ever found one? What did you do?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have you ever found someone else's dead deer?

i found an 8 point on the border of our property that had a gunshot wound in its shoulder when we were doing a deer drive at the end of the season, but it had been dead for a little while so we just cut the rack off and went on our way, there really was not anything we could do
Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Many many bucks and doe's I've found during slug season In my woods. Pretty pathetic crowd of hunters are my neighboring landowner/hunters.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have twice. Both on public land in the Wisconsin gun season. The first 1 I know who shot it and she said she didn't it was a doe and she said she shot a buck. The second I had no clue who shot it and it was a 6 point buck. I looked around and didn't find anybody so I tagged it.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just found one yesterday right under my treestand. It was a little 6 pointer that was double lunged with the arrow still in it. I can't for the life of me figure out why the person didn't recover it. It was only about 80 yards from where I think he shot it (ground blind with a bucket thatI don't know how it got there). It's on my new piece of propertythat I recently posted and have exclusive rights to. I'm pretty sure it's one of two people and I plan on finding out soon.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Back when I was in school, I had traveled up to my dads to get in the Friday evening hunt with a friend. We were walking in together to go to our stands and just about 50 or so yards from where we split I walked right up to this dead spike that was shot in the rear quarter. Not sure who else was hunting there, I went over and picked up my friend and we went back to the deer.

We decided to back track it to see where it came from, thinking we may come across someone who may have lost the trail...sure enough here is one of the neighbors. Asked him how he was doing and he proceeded to tell us that he shot a spike and wasn't sure of the hit...

Well anyway, walked him back to the deer which was obviously his and then we proceeded to our stands. All in all it cost us about 45 minutes, but had we not found it, he wouldn't of that night for sure as he couldn't find much blood.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not real fresh ones but i have found a few older ones. The oldest was a Doe. It was just bones growed up in hunysuckle with the arrow still laying there.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

i once found a dead doe that had a broadhead stuck in her shoulder but when i found her she had been dead for atleast a few weeks
Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 AM

Many many moons ago when I was stationed in North Dakota I was walking out the long way from a bow hunt and found a small fork buck laying about fifteen yards just inside the woods. I walked out into the field and waited about ten minutes to see if the only other person who was allowed to hunt this property would drive by. Right as I was getting ready to go talk with the farmer who owned the property about the dead deer a guy drove by asking if I had seen a deer come running out of the woods wounded.

I Told him no but I had found a dead buck and it was in the woods behind me about fifteen yards. The guy was so amazed I did not take his deer he offered me twenty dollars))). Needless to say I turned it down, come to find out he was the adjoining property owner hunting on this property. He was so impressed that I did not bag and tag his deer he offered to let me hunt his property.

So in the end I did the right thing and got about 1000 more acres of land to hunt))).

Dave
Old 10-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

found a doe today that a guy shot the other night but could not find it i seen him in the woods today and we found it all ate up by the foxes and buzzards

Quick Reply: Have you ever found someone else's dead deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.