Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help, Bow or crossbow? >

Help, Bow or crossbow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help, Bow or crossbow?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help, Bow or crossbow?

Please give me pros and cons, along with answers.
I have been hunting with a compound bow, but New Jersey opened crossbow season for 2009.
Is there an atvantage to the crossbow?
I understand you don't need to draw back, so there is less movement.
Speeds maybe alittle higher, but the crossbow is also heavier.
What are the pros and cons to go to a crossbow?
Should I stick with my compound and save the $500.00 - $1200.00?
Old 10-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help, Bow or crossbow?

I used a crossbow for one season after surgery. When I shot my buck, I felt like I was cheating. I'll never use a crossbow for hunting deer again. I still use it for shooting 'yotes and other critters but that's it. Personally, I wouldn't do it.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

i couldn't go to crossbow after shootin my compound, i love it...
Old 10-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Old 10-25-2008, 10:27 AM

Pro's, deadly accurate, no movement, less practice required to maintain tight groups, higher speeds relate to further ethical kills, and less errors in judging distance, scopes have luminated reticles allowing for easier shooting right till end of legal shooting light.

Con, its not a "true" compound, and some people prefer having to pull back to draw. A compound makes hunting more challenging, but really, I don't see any Con's to a crossbow as a tool for hunting, and I personally feel that they are more lethal of a weapon for "most" hunters, esp those who don't practice enough. But a modern day compound in the right hands, is as deadly as any crossbow.

They seem to have gained a lot of popularity in my area, and I deffinatly know why.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Spearchucker

Pro's, deadly accurate, no movement, less practice required to maintain tight groups, higher speeds relate to further ethical kills, and less errors in judging distance, scopes have luminated reticles allowing for easier shooting right till end of legal shooting light.

Con, its not a "true" compound, and some people prefer having to pull back to draw. A compound makes hunting more challenging, but really, I don't see any Con's to a crossbow as a tool for hunting, and I personally feel that they are more lethal of a weapon for "most" hunters, esp those who don't practice enough. But a modern day compound in the right hands, is as deadly as any crossbow.

They seem to have gained a lot of popularity in my area, and I deffinatly know why.
Very well said.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting fore 27 years. Last year I switched a crossbow due to a spinal injury. In my first hand opinion this is what I have seen:

"Deadly Accurate" actually I was more accurate with my Hoyt Reflex than shooting off hand
withmy xbow at ranges of 30 yards plus. ( I used to practice a lot with my Hoyt)

"No movement" Definitely less movement.

"Less practice required to maintain tight groups" Off of a rest beyond 30 yards true, off hand
beyond30 yards still requires the practice.

"Higher speeds relate to further ethical kills" Simply not true. Arrow speeds between the high
endvertical bows and the average crossbow are equivalent, as the performance over distance.
My crossbow shoots an arrow at 308 fps, many vertical bows are faster.My Hoyt shot at 286 fps.

"Less errors judging distance" Judging distance is judging distance and it still matters.I used a
range finder with my Hoyt and I still use it with my xbow.

"Scopes have illuminated reticles allowing for easier shooting right till the end of legal
shootinglight." My vertical bow had lighted pins. No appreciable difference, though the scope on
my xbow does not have a lighted reticle.

"Its not a "true" compound, and some people prefer having to pull back to draw." I guess,
there was a day when a compound bow was not considered a "true" bow. Mine is actually a
recurve.

"A compound makes hunting more challenging." IMO bow hunting is bow hunting. They have
thesame ethical killing range. I know that many disagree.

"I don't see any Con's to a crossbow as a tool for hunting" Having actually carried one in the
field I can mention a few. They are significantly heavier, and a real bear to carry in the woods.
Picture walking in the woods carrying a crowbar in the shape of a large T-square and you will get
the picture.

I am not trying to start an argument or slam Spearchucker. I am simply trying to answer 2Robinhood's question based on my personal experiences.

Given everything I said I love to bow hunt and using the xbow allows me to do that. If I didn't have my back injury to contend with I would still be shooting my Hoyt Reflex, even if the xbow was considered legal equipment during the archery season here.

Bob
Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Horizontal Hunter

I have been hunting fore 27 years. Last year I switched a crossbow due to a spinal injury. In my first hand opinion this is what I have seen:

"Deadly Accurate" actually I was more accurate with my Hoyt Reflex than shooting off hand
withmy xbow at ranges of 30 yards plus. ( I used to practice a lot with my Hoyt)

"No movement" Definitely less movement.

"Less practice required to maintain tight groups" Off of a rest beyond 30 yards true, off hand
beyond30 yards still requires the practice.

"Higher speeds relate to further ethical kills" Simply not true. Arrow speeds between the high
endvertical bows and the average crossbow are equivalent, as the performance over distance.
My crossbow shoots an arrow at 308 fps, many vertical bows are faster.My Hoyt shot at 286 fps.

"Less errors judging distance" Judging distance is judging distance and it still matters.I used a
range finder with my Hoyt and I still use it with my xbow.

"Scopes have illuminated reticles allowing for easier shooting right till the end of legal
shootinglight." My vertical bow had lighted pins. No appreciable difference, though the scope on
my xbow does not have a lighted reticle.

"Its not a "true" compound, and some people prefer having to pull back to draw." I guess,
there was a day when a compound bow was not considered a "true" bow. Mine is actually a
recurve.

"A compound makes hunting more challenging." IMO bow hunting is bow hunting. They have
thesame ethical killing range. I know that many disagree.

"I don't see any Con's to a crossbow as a tool for hunting" Having actually carried one in the
field I can mention a few. They are significantly heavier, and a real bear to carry in the woods.
Picture walking in the woods carrying a crowbar in the shape of a large T-square and you will get
the picture.

I am not trying to start an argument or slam Spearchucker. I am simply trying to answer 2Robinhood's question based on my personal experiences.

Given everything I said I love to bow hunt and using the xbow allows me to do that. If I didn't have my back injury to contend with I would still be shooting my Hoyt Reflex, even if the xbow was considered legal equipment during the archery season here.

Bob

Hey Bob, appreciate your comments. I would tend to disagree with a few of your points. I have some expereince with them, I have harvested a deer with a crossbow as well, and my hunting buddy and brother both use them.

I personally like a ladder stand with a crossbow, so you are almost always shooting off a rest at this point. Off hand yes still requires some practice, I didn't say NO practive, but less. Since most hunters are use to a rifle, and shooting with one, I believe shooting a crossbow to be the same in form, and you can hone this skill, much faster than shooting tight groups with a bow. again I am not suggesting no practice, but I believe less is needed with a Crossbow.

Modern day compounds are fast, the fastest I believe are pushing 320. The fastest crossbows are pushing 380...that is a difference.

The reason I Said less errors in judging distance, and perhaps I am basing this off my bow, and not the newer ones shooting 300fps, is because when you are shooting 350-380fps, your first pin can be used usually out to 40 yrds.

I'm not saying I don't feel its a "true" bow, but there are some very pro bow hunters, who feel a crossbow is cheating. I for one don't feel this way. I feel that a stick and string is a stick and string, no matter the form. I would hunt with a crossbow and have, and in the future may go that way. They still both provide a challenge, and I'm not saying that. But I do believe that a Bow presents more of a challenge than a crossbow.

They are heavier, but some aren't all that heavy. I have carried and used a Horton Legend, and It was a great lightweight bow. While not shooting 350fps...It was still very fast Xbow compared to my old Hoyt.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Each bow has its challenges. No matter what way you look at it, it's still bow hunting. I don't care if you use a compound, crossbow, or the recurve bow, we bow hunters need to stick together.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Yes all hunters, no matter what form need to stick together.
I am not trying to start a debate, I just wanted to know when crossbow comes to my state in 2009 if I would be folish to stick with my compound bow.
By the way I took my first deer with a bow on opening day this season ( 2008 ).
I lost my second deer, three people and 5 hours and nothing.
Took three more since then, latest was this morning.
I am hunting on private land with tons of nice does. Waiting for some bucks though.
After the rut I will take some more of the does for the land owner, He wants then thinned down.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm158/2robinhood/deerpictures025.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm158/2robinhood/deerpictures2018.jpg

This was this mornings kill.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm158/2robinhood/deerpictures2054.jpg

Quick Reply: Help, Bow or crossbow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.