HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Is scent control overrated? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/269833-scent-control-overrated.html)

Hoytail Hunter 10-24-2008 08:48 PM

Is scent control overrated?

Yesterday I was out with the Primos Buck Roar and a set of rattling antlers.5 minutes after a grunt, wheeze, grunt, roar, rattle sequence, a buck came in downwind, scented me, and blew. I was clean, had freshly Atsko washed camo on, rubber boots, gloves, and sprayed down. It was a pretty cool day and I walked slowly to my stand so I didn't sweat at all... yet I got winded 60yds away.

I think trying to beat a deer's nose is a losing battle. You just can't outsmart mother nature. All these extra steps and still got busted 60yds away. I think when any deer is within 100yds directly downwind, the gig is up regardless what precautions you've taken. If you're breathing, they will pick up on that human odor... PERIOD.

130woodman 10-24-2008 08:58 PM

RE: Is scent control overrated?

Hue, I have to disagree with you. I have had deer downwind every year and not got busted. I get busted more from movement then anything else. You can't know for sure what made him bust out. It could have been because he didn't see any other deer. He might have blown because he was trying to get scent of another deer. Or maybe you had something on that had some scent.

Getting busted is a part of hunting and you have to try and do everything possible not to get busted.

TexasBowHunter 10-24-2008 09:24 PM

Yeah, it is one of the mystery's that I have a hard time with too....I have had deer blow and carry on like they smelled me and then other time's they (different deer)act like I am not there (I am talking the same exact stand and clothing as well as the scent free ritual and hunting the wind). I am just now learning about thermals and I think that has something to do with my situation as I am talking about elevated stands (not sure if you were elevated or on the ground hoytail). I will continue to do everything I can to stay undetected ESP. playing the wind!!!!! Good luck guys...

2droptine 10-24-2008 09:25 PM

What did you do about your breath? Face Mask? Cover Scent? Could it be there is a hole in your scent control regimen.

davidmil 10-24-2008 09:29 PM

If you've never been winded and busted by a deer, you're hunting in a petting zoo. A deer can pick you off in a heart beat if something is wrong, like your breath. You can wear all the "Make me invisible" crap you want and a deer can still smell you. The majority of them are snake oil. Total fabrications and the biggest con to the hunting industry EVER. You can wear all the rubber boots you want and a deer will still smell where you've walked, hours later. Scent control is NOT over rated. Body stink should be reduced by proper washing of body and clothes. Nothing will hide you totally. If you've never been winded..... You're dead.

nchawkeye 10-24-2008 09:32 PM

No big mystery...Have you ever driven by a house with a fire lit in the fireplace and seen the smoke go straight up??? The next day, it might run parallel to the ground for awhile and then go to the ground...

Weather conditions, barometer, humidity, all have their effect on if the scent (of smoke) goes up and over a deer or down and to a deer...

Hoytail Hunter 10-24-2008 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: 2droptine

What did you do about your breath? Face Mask? Cover Scent? Could it be there is a hole in your scent control regimen.
Yes, the hole is the mouth and nose. I of course brushed my teeth before going afield but honestly I don't think it really matters to a deer's nose.

I believe that just the same way we cantaste the obvious difference between an orange slice and a lemon slice, a deer only needs one whiff of us and the party's over. Even if you were wrapped in 258 layers of plastic from the neck down, as long as you're still breathing, a deer can smell you. If deer can smell scent left by your clothes and shoes days later, why can't they smell air molecules that have just touched your insides and left your lungs seconds ago?

Schultzy 10-24-2008 10:18 PM

Scentlock or no Scentlock, they'll sometimes smell you down wind.

Scentlock or no Scentlock, they'll sometimes not smell you down wind.

Scott/IL 10-24-2008 10:24 PM

I follow a very strict scent control program before every hunt. I will wash EVERYTHING I wear, plus a towel and washclothe in baking soda. I then take a shower in some kind of scent free soap/shampoo using the washcloth and drying off with the towel. I then put my bottom layer on and drive to my hunting spot with with either sandals on or a pair of shoes. Once I get to my hunting spot I get dressed and put on my boots. I spray down every layer I wear with scent killer. I use Scent-Lok almost 100% of the time but there are times when I don't have it on. I try to play the wind as best I can.

I do all of this and have still been busted before. I can say with complete confidence though, that I have seen more and bigger deer since I have began doing all of this. Scent control isn't the only reason for that (getting in better stands, more time in field, etc.) but I think it has alot to do with it. However, if adeer gets downwind of you then nothing is for sure. Every hunter will get winded no matter what kind of tactics they use. Scent killer spray, Scent-Lok, and other methods are not a 100% gaurantee. While I believe they help you will STILL get winded from time to time.

Then again, I have a good buddy that only washes his clothes TWO times a hunting season. He killed a P&Y last year, but has only killed one other deer with his bow. He get's winded constantly he says and wonders why.

Chances are the buck you had called in was looking for another deer to be in that area. They are able to pinpoint where sounds come from extremly well so when he heard your calling sequence he knew there should be deer in the area and when he got there and didn't see/smell any he knew something was up.

The Rev 10-24-2008 10:30 PM

That's bowhunting, and why I love it so much.