Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is scent control overrated? >

Is scent control overrated?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is scent control overrated?

Old 10-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Is scent control overrated?

Sometimes deer wind you anyway. ALWAYS spray down really good.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:01 PM

Although I think scent control certainly has its place, I do think it is really a losing battle. I tried, and tried hard with the scent control clothing, washing, spraying etc, but I still got busted occasionally and I was still forced to play the wind. When it came time for new clothes, I finally decided being I am playing the wind anyway, I'm gonna let my hunting funds go towards other things that are useful or can make my hunt more comfortable.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pat Curtis

I think a large part of scent control is wear you're from. If you're hunting in the middle of nowhere, at a place where the deer have never seen a human.....scent control might pay off...IF the deer is freaked out by the new scent he's come acrossed.

Most places however, in this day and age, have humans at least somewhat close by.
I take it that you believe that in areas where deer have become acoustomed to human odor that they won't be alerted by it as much? If so, I can see the logic in this but that's actually not how it is because... where I got busted is probably one of the highest pressured public lands in all ofWisconsin. It is a state recreation area so it's open to all kinds ofhunting and outdoor activities. There are always deer/duck/squirrel hunter'svehicles parked up and down the roads here.

I think that even in such an area as this, deer are only less concerned about human odor when it is in aplace it belongs. When that human odor finds its way to these deer's bedrooms, their same natural instinct takes over.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that you can only do so much. If it helps a little though, then i see no reason it shouldn't be practiced.