Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is the problem? >

What is the problem?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is the problem?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What is the problem?

I have been thinking about this all week and cannot come up with problem. I have spot I hunt where four ridges come together at a creek crossing. I have hunted this spot two times in the morning and two times in the evening. In the mornings the deer are moving in the low ground following the creek, this is where I have killed my buck and my doe. In the evenings the deer are coming down off one of the ridges, crossing the creek and then heading to a CRP field about 300 yards from this spot. I have only hunted this spot with the wind in my favor (coming out of the south), but both evening I have hunted it I had deer bust me as they crossed the creek (which is south of my set). I have checked and the wind does swirl, but it swirls to the west (my right) and the deer are crossing to my left. The area is typical creek bottom ground, very thick, so thick in fact I really cannot see a deer unless it is under 40 yards. Last Sunday night I hunted it, seen two does cross. I had not intetion of shooting and never made a move. They got about 30 yards from me and came unglued. The only thing I have been able to think of so far (and I doubt this is it) is that in the evening I have been wearing ScentLok Savannah, which is a much lighter (brighter) grey color that the fleece I wear for morning hunts. The fact is, if I cannot figure out what is alerting these deer I will have no choice other than not hunting this spot in the evenings. Mind you, no deer has alerted in during the morning hunts at this spot and I have had them directly under me, downwind from me, basically everywhere. Got any ideas?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the problem?

Thermals, maybe. Wouldn't make sense though in the evening as the thermals move down from ridges in the evening. Are they seeing you or smelling you? I'm stumped as well.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Are they crossing the path you walk in on?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StealthHtr22

Are they crossing the path you walk in on?
I am coming in from the north. It should be a perfect setup for the evening. In fact, this set was hung with evening hunts in mind as I thought it would be better than in the morning. However, it backwards and I cannot figure out for the life of me what is screwing up the evenings.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If they aren't seeing you, a thread from a couple weeks ago comes to mind. Rob's maybe - about the "wave effect" with the wind. Multiple ridges in your area could really mess with the wind as well. I'm guessing your mornings have been calmer than your evenings?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Might be the cooling thermals in the evenings pooling your scent in the bottom.

Winds in creek bottoms or along ridges can really do some strange things. It helps if it is a strong steady wind instead of a shifty light breeze.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wallhangr

If they aren't seeing you, a thread from a couple weeks ago comes to mind. Rob's maybe - about the "wave effect" with the wind. Multiple ridges in your area could really mess with the wind as well. I'm guessing your mornings have been calmer than your evenings?
It is true that mornings have been calmer. The thing that still gets me is that I have checked (before hanging the stand because I know what ridges can do) the wind and seen that it swirled to the west. I figured it would okay seeing the deer would be coming from the SE. Maybe it is swirling some more and some how they are getting a nose full of me. I think it would be best to just stay out of this stand in the evenings.