Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you bait?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Do you bait?

Do you think baitingmakes bucks avoid your stand???
Old 10-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you bait?

I don't bait, but no I don't believe it would make them avoid your stand at all. In fact as the rut approaches if you are attracting doe, the bucks will follow.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

I have in the past.....being honest. I've never killed a deer over bait, though. In '05 I hunted a feeder almost exclusively. Never killed a deer that year. In '06 I finally figured out it was easier to kill 'em when they were acting relaxed. Deer coming to bait are extremely skittish (in my experience).

I kept a feeder going for the first half of '07......mainly just to keep deer in the area. I never hunted near it, last year (didn't need to....as I have a lot of deer here).

I've tried sporadically baiting deer to target does (both for my hunting, my son's and for friends hunting here)....but to date, no one has been successful when it's been down. So I actually don't see the point, anymore.

LAST thing I would do in most of my hunting areas, now, is introduce bait. Bait draws does, here (eventually they dominate it). Not what I'm after, right now.

"Avoid your stand"? Tough call. "Know something's up".....I think so.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer eat corn (bait). When they eat it is a $50 question. Sometimes they will early, sometimes late, sometimes at night only. I have to stick with Jeff on this. Unless deer are extremely accustomed to bait (feeding), they are very skittish coming to it. I would take a relaxed deer over that any day of the week.

LT
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Do you bait? Yes.
Do you think baitingmakes bucks avoid your stand? It'spossible.
Have I had a deer come into range since Sept 6th? No.
Am I inclined to quit baiting? No.
Is there any difference in hunting over a corn pile versus hunting a "food plot", pond, acorn tree, or the trail leading to those things? No. Food is food, how or why it's there is irrelevant, the only difference is mental.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Borrowed from OCD

Do you bait? Yes. In some stands
Do you think baitingmakes bucks avoid your stand? Sometimes. Early in the season, if they've been fed all summer, they hang around some. Later on they wise up after you come in a couple times when you're 'not supposed to'. I have seen em come in a little later in season, after the rut.
Have I had a deer come into range since Sept 13th? Yes. The same 1.5y/o buck. But Ive only hunted the one stand in hopes that he brings a friend.
Am I inclined to quit baiting? No. Ive got other places that aren't baited that are just as productive.
Is there any difference in hunting over a corn pile versus hunting a "food plot", pond, acorn tree, or the trail leading to those things? Yes. Food plots, acorns, beech nuts, muscadines, etc dont require frequent human activity once established or producing that year. Ive seen a lot more deer over 'natural' sources. I put corn out this year because there are no acorns on my property this year and I figured corn may help hold them around during daylight hours since they generally dont hit the fields til around dark or after. So far it has been semi effective. I havent bought corn in a couple of weeks. I have been raking white oak acorns out of my yard and bagging them up and putting them out instead. Seems to work fine.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Bartender

Hell no I don't.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes i bait heavily. No they dont avoid my stand.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Its the time of year that a big crawler isirresistible to Walleyes just before dark.
And if your quite they don't seem to skittish.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

yes i do why not you are hunting to lower the population #'s so i use any tool to help me do it. have to put bait on the hook to get a fish so put bait on your hook to get your deer

Quick Reply: Do you bait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.