Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got busted last sat. now what? >

Got busted last sat. now what?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got busted last sat. now what?

Old 10-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got busted last sat. now what?

Ok last sat morning I got busted by an 8 point. He only saw movement. Didnt catch my scent. I was standing behind a tree and he saw me pull up the bow. He snorted then bolted for about 75-100 yards and then stop and continued to walk after that. My question is, do I sit in the same spot to get him or move within a hundred yards? Oh yeah three hours after that happened I shot a doe from the same tree. Does that make a differnce also? Inquiring minds want to know.........
Old 10-23-2008, 03:33 PM

Default RE: Got busted last sat. now what?

Your fine, sounds like he only caught movement and was not sure what it was. His natural instinct was to bolt. If he stopped after 75-100 yards and simply walked away I think you should be good. I would suggest not hunting the stand for a week or so.

Besides the rut is almost upon us, he is about to lose his mind and get stupid anyways)

Dave
Old 10-23-2008, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: SouthernMDArchers

Besides the rut is almost upon us, he is about to lose his mind and get stupid anyways)

Old 10-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

You should be fine. I got busted by a nice 8 point opening weekend. He just saw me walking out of my stand, and ran maybe 100 yards. He stayed right on the property. I grabbed my binoculars, stopped, and watched him for a while. I talked to the neighbor, and he said he has been still seeing him.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Ok thanks. Yeah I think the rut is really close to us. Especially with all the cold weather and all.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

If it were me.....I'd move 30-50 yds away from that spot.

Not far enough to be out of the precise area, but far enough to make him think maybe you are.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

see thats what I thought too. I was on one side of the woods with a pipeline behind me and he came from the other side of the pipeline. I thought about sitting on "his" side........just to see if I could catch him sneaking in case he did remember that he saw something there last week.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If it were me.....I'd move 30-50 yds away from that spot.

Not far enough to be out of the precise area, but far enough to make him think maybe you are.
I agree with this statement. I don't even know if you have to move that far but, you should move, it wouldn't hurt. Depending on how bad he spooked or if whathe saw something definative to him, the first thing he will do when entering that area is check that exact spot out, they do remember. (ask me how I know this lol) but it won't make a difference when you are drawing back on him from your new spot 30 yds. away while he is staring at your old treeGood luck bud.

Shane