HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do You see most deer walking into the wind? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/269538-do-you-see-most-deer-walking-into-wind.html)

ABarOfSoap 10-23-2008 08:12 AM

Do You see most deer walking into the wind?

I saw a ton of deer the other day and every single one of them came withthe wind blowing to them, this weekend the wind is going to be in the other direction, does this mean i probly wont see anymore of these deer, or do they not ALWAYS do this?

Do you guys commonly see more deer coming from downwind than other directions?

Schultzy 10-23-2008 09:00 AM

RE: Do You see most deer walking into the wind?

It doesn't matter as far as I'm concerned on where the winds coming from. 2 evenings ago I saw 9 deer. Everyone came In with the wind to there backs. When the bucks get scent checking they'll check a trail, scrape, bedding area down wind but otherwise I don't go for the saying bucks or even deer travel with the wind In there face.

GMMAT 10-23-2008 09:16 AM

I certainly hope not. That would make playing the wind a bitch.

Predator19 10-23-2008 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I certainly hope not. That would make playing the wind a bitch.
Very good point. When i first started bowhunting I learned this was not the case. If anything i have seen lots of bucks travel with the wind at 90 degrees from their nose. No certainty for sure.

SouthernMDArchers 10-23-2008 03:39 PM

Tuesday night I had Nine deer walk right past my stand all within range. Wind in my face, wind at their back. Six does/fawns and three bucks. I believe playing the wind is important but you must put it in perspective and plan accordingly to the area and the setup you hunt.

Dave

blackpowderfever 10-23-2008 03:55 PM

I see alot of deer skirting the wind. They walk with it in their faces also, they also like to walk with the wind hitting them on the sides of their face. Very rarely walking with the wind.

nodog 10-23-2008 06:22 PM

I expect the ones I'm callingtoo. If you give a deer a reason to think somethings around they will. Otherwise they can't always travel with the wind in their favor.

nybuckboy 10-23-2008 06:39 PM

This is a question I was going to ask. When I only gun hunted I was always under the impresson that deer always walked or ran into the wind. Perhaps because during gun season often times they have been pushed. Deer when pushed or spooked may initally move out without regard to wind direction but will generallyturn into the wind shortly their after.

Since I took up bowhuntingpast 5 years agoI have noted that most deer I see move with the wind. It makes sense. They use their eyes to see forward,their nose to protect the rear and their ears to surround themselves. Bucks when scenting does I noted will travel across the wind.