Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tracking Tip?

Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tracking Tip?

I’m not so keen on marking the last place you saw the deer. I think a mental note is better. The deer could be bedded 10 yards from where you last saw it.
Stay in your stand. A hit deer is just as likely to backtrack or make a circle as anything else. You getting down could spook it badly.

I make lots of mental notes, though.....and inside 25yds....I think I can find the POI pretty easily (always have). I wouldn't mark the last place I saw the deer unless I KNEW I smoked it. Otherwise....I sneak out when I do get down....and come back later.

Discerning the condition of the arrow always tells me how far I can proceed.....but I've gotten to where I back out every time unless I see the deer go down.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Original: rybohunter
I cannot disagree more with the first one. Sit there and don’t move. Gather as many mental markers as you can regarding impact & last place seen. Physically moving to those spots to mark them is dumb.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I’m not so keen on marking the last place you saw the deer. I think a mental note is better. The deer could be bedded 10 yards from where you last saw it.
Stay in your stand. A hit deer is just as likely to backtrack or make a circle as anything else. You getting down could spook it badly.

I make lots of mental notes, though.....and inside 25yds....I think I can find the POI pretty easily (always have). I wouldn't mark the last place I saw the deer unless I KNEW I smoked it. Otherwise....I sneak out when I do get down....and come back later.

Discerning the condition of the arrow always tells me how far I can proceed.....but I've gotten to where I back out every time unless I see the deer go down.
Well, I sort of assumed that it was a "given" that your butt stays in your stand after the shot. That's just common sense. When I responded, I was talking about when you DO finally get down to check your arrow. I didn't see anywhere in the original post that said "immediately after the shot".
Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

I usually go to where I shot right after the deer is out of sight, at check the spot/arrow if I feel I hit him. Then I'll get back in the tree and wait, or back out depending on the situation.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, I sort of assumed that it was a "given" that your butt stays in your stand after the shot. That's just common sense. When I responded, I was talking about when you DO finally get down to check your arrow. I didn't see anywhere in the original post that said "immediately after the shot".
Read it again.

I was reading while my daughter had her endoscopy yesterday and the article said that after you make the shot and the deer disappears out of sight, instead of waiting before tracking you should get down and put a marker at the spot where you hit the deer and then another marker at the spot you last saw the deer, and then wait. This will help keep you accurate when you start to track.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Read it again.

I was reading while my daughter had her endoscopy yesterday and the article said that after you make the shot and the deer disappears out of sight, instead of waiting before tracking you should get down and put a marker at the spot where you hit the deer and then another marker at the spot you last saw the deer, and then wait. This will help keep you accurate when you start to track.
Ah, I see where you're getting that now. I stand corrected. Well, actually I SIT corrected, but that's irrelevant.

For me, no matter how well I think I "smoked" the deer, I still stay in my stand for at least a half hour. THEN I get down and mark the shot location and point my arrow in the direction the deer traveled.

I always have to do this because I can't follow a blood trail by myself.[&o]
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Dominant Buck

For me, no matter how well I think I "smoked" the deer, I still stay in my stand for at least a half hour. THEN I get down and mark the shot location and point my arrow in the direction the deer traveled.
Agreed.....unless I see it layin dead!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

I read that article in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life as well, and when I read "get down and mark the last spot you saw the deer", I immediately dismissed the article as hogwash.

I sit down and replay it over and over making mental notes as I do. There is always something you can use as a landmark as to where the deer was last seen...tree, branch, rock, etc. The field point arrow is an awesome tip though...I'm gonna put a field point in my pack tonight
Old 10-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with those that disagree with getting down immediately. That's very foolish for that to be printed as tracking tips. One could very well jump a deer that is just out of sight. Very bad tip.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

That's very foolish for that to be printed as tracking tips. One could very well jump a deer that is just out of sight. Very bad tip.
That's why it was in a Field & Stream magazine.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Heck, I have to sit in my stand for at least 1/2 an hour or I'll be shaking so badly I'll likely fall trying to climb down.

Quick Reply: Tracking Tip?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.