Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How high are your standards? >

How high are your standards?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How high are your standards?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How high are your standards?

Rally personal opinion stuff here......fueled mostly I would imagine by what's realistic for ythe woods you're hunitng.

I've been fortunate enough to ake a few bucks, now.....but nothing most would get excited about. I did. I've taken one injured 1.5yr old.....two 2.5yr olds.....one 3.5yr old and one 4.5yr old in the last 3 seasons (Eastern and western NC zones).

I've gotten to the point where taking just "any" buck don't do it for me. My last NINE deer sightings have ALL been bucks (no does mixed in there). I've had legitimate shots (as close as 5 yds) at really most of them. No interest.

I'm waiting for the following:

A) A buck with a rack larger than anything I've taken (age unimportant....but for these parts he's gonna be 2.5 or older

or

B) ANY deer 3.5yrs or older.....regardless of rack size.

I might take a less than 100" buck if it's the one I watched all Summer.....but it'll be a "heat of the moment" decision on him.

I'm perfectly fine with not killing a buck, this year.....and that's what I'll do unless I can kill one I'd be proud of.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like to say 130”, but more realistically if it’s a nice looking 3.5 yr old & 125” its probably going to get shot.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 AM

even though I have only been hunting for 3 years I found myself passing up young smaller bucks for something, what I consider, with a decent rack...
wide six with mass... nice symetrical 8pt..... anything bigger I would probably pass out before I could get a shot off.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

140" or better and he has to be 4yrs old or more, thats my plan as of now. If I have to question whether to shoot it or not i am most likely going to let it walk.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Public land, I start of trying to be selective, but if the freezer is empty too long, than anything goes. If Im hunting private where the monsters are, than I will be very selective.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM

2.5 years or older for bucks. I won't compromise that anywhere I hunt in MI. My freezer is always full of does so I have no pressure to kill a buck...which is nice.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I shot less 100 inch deer than I might be able to up my standards a bit but I reserve the right to shoot any legal deer I want. I understand how letting the little ones walk is the way to gobut after 30 years of hunting I am still a weak man.

I figure you shoot what you want and I'll shoot what I want. If the Preacher wants to shoot spikers so be it. I will still pat him on the back and give him a big ATTA BOY. I would rather shoot a yearling doe for the table that an old mature doe regardless of what QDM guidelines dictate.

You can always find something good to say about a bow killed deer even if it is "Boy thats gonna eat good"
Old 10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

2" of horn or more will get my consideration as far as a buck goes ....it all depends on how I feel at the time ....
That's a joke right? A buck with 2" of antleris nothing short of "I got MY buck".[8D]Shoot a doe PT.
Sorry Jeff .... I'll shoot a fat spiker most of the times ..... they eat real nice
You'll never have any big bucks running around if that mindset is very common. And if it only has that much antler, you may as well wait for a doe that is a year past her spots, she'll eat better.
Doug ... it's EVERYONE"S mindset out here ......everyone.....so until I can get my own land and really manage for more bone, it's allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll good.......... and a fat spike eats just as good as any doe
Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have yet to killa deer i have hunted 16 of the last 22 days i saw a deer when hunting once the otherday. If it is brown it is down as long as it does not have spots. Though i plan to old out for a big buck say a 8 or better till the rut slows
Old 10-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

150 or higher that is my standard this year last year it was 140 However I think your standards should change depending on where you live. I live in east central Illinois. If I lived inSouth Carolina it would be a whole different story

Quick Reply: How high are your standards?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.