Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long should a deer hang? >

How long should a deer hang?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long should a deer hang?

Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long should a deer hang?

I usually let them go a few days if possible, and often in a cooler with ice as well. I do know a guy that hangs his a lonnnngggg time, sometimes over a month. Too long for me.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

My butcher says that a deer doesn't benefit from aging, as there is no fat in the meat; their fat is stored in their skin, so I do mine the same day. Much easier when a deer is warm instead of cold.
The amount of fat present, other wise known as 'marbleing', isn't the issue with aging meat.It is the process of rigor mortis that occurs in he firstday or twoand then thesubsequent softening of the meat that follows as the enzymesbegin to break down the muscle fibers.Butchering immediately after a killwill result in tougher eating meat than letting it hang for a few days. Here's a quick overview of the science behind aging: http://www.fieldandstream.com/article/Outdoor%20Skills/Deer-Hang-Time
Old 10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Spike

so what if you skin and quarter it and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days? does it matter if the skin is off? or does that play a part in the ageing prosses?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

We skin and quarter immediately. Then I put the quarters in a refridgerator and butcher it over the next couple days. Your butcher told you that it doesn't help because he wants to do it when he wants to and get paid.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Banned

I havent been to a butcher in YEARS. I do it all myself. Now and then I will take some ground deer in for some cheese pepper sticks. My deer are always tender, and mine are processed immediately after the kill. I am lazy and I like to do it when they are easy.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Hardcore do you still have that Big Bear Chopper?
Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: MJL927

I always butcher asap. Hanging them for awhile doesn't really do anything IMO other than allow it to be exposed to air born contaminants or insects. The thought of something laying eggs in my deer is enough to give me the willies! [:'(]
If it's cold enough to let it hang for any period of time, there are no bugs around to lay eggs.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:35 PM

We have taken up to 10 days to get meat (caribou and moose) out of the field but it can be a struggle. Temperature is not the sole factor. The major factor is humidity. The general rule is that if it's dry it can be warm (up to 60*) as long as you keep air circulation good but then you have bugs to deal with; be sure to use good game bags! If it's wet, it needs to be cold (below 40*). Of course this means that cold and dry with good air circulation is ideal, and warm with wet is an absolute nightmare that should be avoided at all costs!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on the crime.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: poconobowhunter

so what if you skin and quarter it and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of days? does it matter if the skin is off? or does that play a part in the ageing prosses?
Skin on does not allow the meat to "age". What aging actually does is let enzymes in the meat start breaking it down at a controlled rate. (The temp. and humidity are the controlling factors in the aging process.)

Since I pack all my deer out on my back it is boned out in the field. If conditions are right I will hang it in heavy duty game bags in a dry, cool place until I have time to deal with it which may be 5-7 days sometimes. I'm not sure that the aging process does anything with it, it's more a matter of convenience for me. I have processed and frozen some right away that I have shot in August and I honestly feel that is better meat but I think that's a factor of hormone levels between being shot in Aug. vs. Nov. rather than an aging issue.

Quick Reply: How long should a deer hang?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.