HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Washing your hunting clothes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/269211-washing-your-hunting-clothes.html)

jbowersox 10-21-2008 02:35 PM

Washing your hunting clothes

Question: This might be a dumb question but I'll never know unless I ask...

Has anyone ever used Borax as a laundry detergent for your hunting clothes?

I believe (could be wrong) that it is odorless, no brighteners, and it is natural. At least that's what I've read on the internet. I saw a box of it on my wife's laundry rack and started reading the uses for it, and thought maybe I could use it for my hunting clothes. Don't see why it would be harmful for deer hunting. What's the deal with Borax?

muzzyman88 10-21-2008 02:41 PM

RE: Washing your hunting clothes

I'd be very careful using most laundry detergents. A lot of them have brighteners added to them which will make your clothing "glow" to a deers eye. Just go buy a bottle of Sportwash, made by Sno-Seal. I've tried Scent Killer laundry detergent and it works well too, but I think the Sportwash does a better job on the clothes. It just seams to rinse outand clean my clothes better.

jbowersox 10-21-2008 02:44 PM

Borax isn't a laundry detergent. Sorry, I think I may have said that in my previous post. But it can be used as a cleaning agent to remove odors from trash cans, garbage disposals, cloth diapers, etc, etc. Any other thoughts on using it for your hunting clothes?

txjourneyman 10-21-2008 02:45 PM

I just use Arm & Hammer baking soda.

BOW HNT 10-21-2008 02:47 PM

Ditto on the Baking Soda

Spearchucker 10-21-2008 02:54 PM

I use Scent-a-way by Hunters Specialties, and always line dry my hunting clothes for a few days. Then they make their way to a Garbage Bag and Blue bin. Stay there till I need to hunt, and I dress at my Spot.

BOWHUNTERCOP 10-21-2008 02:57 PM

any of the brands of those hunting clothes detergents work

jbowersox 10-21-2008 03:01 PM

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have an opinion on Borax though?

YooperMike 10-21-2008 03:24 PM

Borax is the finest thing available for curing salmon eggs to use for spawn sacks...as for laundry cleaning, I have no idea! Kinda hard to find these days isn't it?

jbowersox 10-21-2008 03:29 PM

I think you can get it any grocery store. My wife has some in a box with the brand 20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster on it. Says on the side, "can be used to to reduce and control odors".