Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The Heart

Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Spike

Default The Heart

OK - so in an effort not to get the tenderloin thread even further off course with more heart posts, I figured I'd start a new thread of its own...

Do you guys always remove the heart - or was it just a 'right of passage' type act when you shot your first deer? Also - post you're favorite cooking method - so far I've seen fried in bacon grease and fried in butter with onions, etc.

Would seem to me that the heart might be a tougher meat since it is always working. Any details on the texture? When I do get my first deer - unless there is something visibly wrong with it - I think I will be taking the heart to try it and see what its like. Who knows - maybe I'll end up always taking it - but I'll never know until I try it at least once.

I know I won't go near the liver, though - I'm not a big fan of eating filters and I can't stand beef or duck liver [:'(]
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Heart

I take the heart, liver and kidneys. Half cook them to get the smell up, then feed them to the dogs (not all at once). They love that stuff.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

The heart is good eating!!!! I fry it in butter and onions.
The liver NO WAY!!!! I cant eat a filter either. Plus it stinks when you cook it!!!! [:'(]
Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM

Slice the heart in little steaks. Fry them up, not tough at all. Real good in the morning at camp. Steak and eggs.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Heart is excellent floured and fried in butter. A little thing my kids refer to as hunter's delight.
I also enjoy the liver cooked the same way but fried with mucho onions.
DW
Old 10-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to slice the heart into thin strips and then back it at 325 for about 20 mins. Not tough at all, in fact it is very tender. Good eats!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a kid I remember taking the hearts from the deer we killed for my Mom. She was the only one who'd eat them. I don't remember liking it back then, but there are a lot of foods I eat now that I didn't. Maybe I have to try and give the heart another go.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I cut It Into small 1.5" to 2" pieces and throw It Into a bag of Fry Magic and get It coated nice and good. It then goes Into a pan of grease or butter and gets fried up. Frying the onions with It at the same time gives It a great flavor as well. Heart Is a muscle and It does have a different texture to It when eating It. Kind of a rubbery texture but at the same time It's still tender enough to eat. I collect everybody's deer and bear hearts on there blood trails If they don't want there's. Some years I'll have 10 hearts In the freezer, good stuff!!!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't eat the heart or any other organs. No regrets.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never tried the heart,

Besides on my first deer, and bear with a bow.

Took a bite out of it in the field. Buddy made me.

...Regrets[:'(]

Quick Reply: The Heart

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.