HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   OK Mini DVD - Mini Cam users..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/269118-ok-mini-dvd-mini-cam-users.html)

GMMAT 10-20-2008 09:51 PM

OK Mini DVD - Mini Cam users.....

I've got a few clips, now....and I'd like to share them. I "think" I have to format my disc before I can view it on my computer (DVD compatible).....but if I do that.....I can't use the rest of the disc space left on the mini DVD.

Is this correct? Like I said....I've got a few little clips I'd like to share....but I hate to waste the rest of the disc space to do this.

OKbowhunter20 10-20-2008 09:54 PM

RE: OK Mini DVD - Mini Cam users.....

I recorded some hunting stuff on mini DVDs last year. It was a nightmare to try to get it on the computer. The formatting, the importing..it drove me nuts. I don't think I ever got it to work.

But yes, if you format the disk, it is unusable from then on.

solocamcan 10-20-2008 10:01 PM

GMMAT...Just buy this off of me and you won't have to worry about that:D

GMMAT 10-20-2008 10:11 PM

No thanks. That little piece of extra equipment has gotten me busted more times than I care to mention (reaching for it). Pisses me off. I know I wanna catch some things....and I'm glad I have.....but it's a pain, sometimes.

Imagine having it in your breast pocket when THIRTEEN turkeys FLY in on you......RIGHT in on you;)

That happened, tonight. I could do nothing.;)

TOBY V 10-20-2008 11:33 PM

Video is fun,but it comes with a price. I stopped takingmy camera and started hunting again. Over the last 6 years I have captured some great video of deer doing the things they do.I also noticedthat I started to becomeless of a part of the woods and more reckless to just capture a few moments of video to show off to the guys later. I'm sure now that I was probably spotted more times than I would like to admit.I never had any plans to get into the business but it sure was fun for awhile. Now that I have it out of my system it sure is nice just getting back to what was the most fun in the first place.

GMMAT 10-21-2008 09:56 AM

I agree to an extent, Toby (More than you know;))....but I have a son and a wife that I'd like to share with (what I see out there). that's the reason I'm doing it, this year. When I hear movement....or see a deer, though....FIRST thing I reach for is my bow. I'v emissed some great footage this way.....but I refuse to be a slave to the lens. I'm a hunter, first and foremost.

buckmaster 10-21-2008 11:21 AM

:eek:

I've asked this same question on here since '07.... Please someone answer Jeff!:D

I cant even figure out how to re-format the disc to be save-able to the computer. I had some awesome footage of the big 8 i was after last year and have never been able to get it on here.

bigcountry 10-21-2008 01:38 PM

The mini DVD collects the data in DVD format. You have to buy a DVD ripping program to change to a mpeg format. Or I found you can use moviemaker (thanks Rob) and basically play the footage off your cam onto the computer, and it will save it as mpeg or simular.

The ripping of the DVD format is a pain, and very time consuming. Thats why I use my digital camera that collects mpeg most of the time.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-21-2008 02:25 PM

ORIGINAL: TOBY V

Video is fun,but it comes with a price.

I also noticedthat I started to becomeless of a part of the woods and more reckless to just capture a few moments of video to show off to the guys later. I'm sure now that I was probably spotted more times than I would like to admit.
I disagree whole heartily.

I've never been busted because of a camera and it's more than enjoyable to me.

And I'm a hunter first and foremsst too.

Oneshot7 10-21-2008 07:10 PM

Does anyone else have a Canon that has the new format that is a B*&!@ to change, only way I can change it is the stupid file changer that leaves a red signature that pops up periodically throughout the video [:@]

GMMAT 10-21-2008 07:17 PM

Mine's a canon, Oneshot. I can't give ANY tips!

And I'm a hunter first and foremsst too
You've also chosen to set up a tree arm. That would make it easier....but I'm not hiking that thing back into some of the spots I'm going into. If I hunted the same 2-4 stands all the time....I might think about it. But moving as I do.....it's out of the question.

i geet busted reaching for the camera.....or I have been. I had THIRTEEN turkeys DIRECTLY under me, yesterday....and didn't get busted. I had TWO 1.5yr olds 20yds away that pegged me ONLY when I reached for the camera.

I'll use it less and less.....if this trend continues. It's not that important to me. If I don't move....reaching for the camera.....NO problem. I'm sure of that. Like I said....it's not worth the risk.

Oneshot7 10-21-2008 07:28 PM

It takes great video and I am completely happy with it, except that they used a format that is not compatable with any computer or software program out right now, I had to search the specific type of video camera to get any help with it at all, I just found one video file changer, but they stamp their logo on it. If I figure anything out Ill let you know, supposedly there is an update coming out for them soon.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-21-2008 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Mine's a canon, Oneshot. I can't give ANY tips!

And I'm a hunter first and foremsst too
You've also chosen to set up a tree arm. That would make it easier....but I'm not hiking that thing back into some of the spots I'm going into. If I hunted the same 2-4 stands all the time....I might think about it. But moving as I do.....it's out of the question.

i geet busted reaching for the camera.....or I have been. I had THIRTEEN turkeys DIRECTLY under me, yesterday....and didn't get busted. I had TWO 1.5yr olds 20yds away that pegged me ONLY when I reached for the camera.

I'll use it less and less.....if this trend continues. It's not that important to me. If I don't move....reaching for the camera.....NO problem. I'm sure of that. Like I said....it's not worth the risk.
Jeff, I ask, if your getting busted reaching for a little camera how can you possibly come to full draw? If getting busted with such little movement via the camera, I'd have to reevaluate what I'm doing wrong.

I tote my camera and arm, plus my pack even with my climbing treestand, my site doesn't warrant carrying it or not, I vowed to never be in a tree without a camera and arm this year. It wouldn't matter if I had a 5 mile hike, it would come along. I enjoy it.

But to the subject matter.

When you play your camera, can you connect to the computer. I connect my GL2 to my laptop via a fire wire. Of course when I first did, the camera uploaded the drivers to the computer to pull video.

I'm assuming with the question of formatting the disc you actually wanting to play the camera's mini dvd on the computer's disc drive.

I'd find another way to connect direct and upload the footage to the computer straight from the camera. If the drivers or software needed isn't readily available, search online for the drivers, software.

Again, I use a Fire Wire.

GMMAT 10-21-2008 08:01 PM

Jeff, I ask, if your getting busted reaching for a little camera how can you possibly come to full draw? If getting busted with such little movement via the camera, I'd have to reevaluate what I'm doing wrong.

Because I reach for the camera when deer are in range....to get footage. When I reach for the bow .....it's to kill. I couldn't care less about at what point I get to the bow....as long as I do. I've never been busted reaching for my bow.....that I know of.

At home, Rob.....in reality....how many times, last year, did you NOT hunt your food plot or pin oak stands? I know we hunted a few times around your house.....but how many times do you actually climb, each season (on a "normal" year)? Just curious. I climb 100% of the time.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-21-2008 08:13 PM

When I reach for the bow .....it's to kill. I couldn't care less about at what point I get to the bow....as long as I do. I've never been busted reaching for my bow.....that I know of.
It takes more movement to draw a bow that reaching for a camera doesn't it?

And as far as using my climber, probably a dozen times however, it wouldn't matter. Just Friday morn I used my climber and carried everything, at Tim's I did the same. I will always use the arm/camera this year including IL regardless of using my climber or loc ons. My loc ons are in key areas, that makes sense.

If I hunted your ground everyday, using my climber every sit, I'd have camera and arm along for the ride. That's me.

Did ya catch the rest of the post to get back on topic? ;)

GMMAT 10-21-2008 08:22 PM

It takes more movement to draw a bow that reaching for a camera doesn't it?
Maybe you're not understanding me....

I don't reach for my bow as soon as I see an animal I wanna kill. I reach for it when I know I have an "opening".....a good time to do so. I reach for the camera when I decide it's an animal I'm not gonna try to kill.....and I do so early....so as to get more footage. If I waited to reach for the camera.....as I do with my bow....the amount of footage would be minimal.

I've climbed 35 times this year, so far. SOmetimes I'm carrying my stand, pack, harness, clothing, etc... . Just today I walked in about a mile in 60 deg weather and a 12mph headwind. I was STILL hot when i got to stand. Hell I'm compromising by carrying a pack with a camera in it. In the past....I didn't carry a pack. It's actually a real pain in the ass. I couldn't imagine carrying a freakin camera arm in, also. To each his own.....it's just not that important to me to have "it" on film. I have a vivid imagination.:D

For every time I wish I had it......there's probably 15 others where I wish I didn't have to lug that pack. But that's just me.