Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I sure as heck cant tell. >

I sure as heck cant tell.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I sure as heck cant tell.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I sure as heck cant tell.

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

This happened to me sat. night I had a deer step out and I couldnt tell if it was a big one, I had it in range and in a shooting lane, however I passed on the shot, either I havent seen enough deer to know, or I just cant tell straight up cannot do it. How do you tell if its a big deer or not??? I thought she was a fawn but then a few seconds later, her fawn stepped out..... And I diddnt have any shot at either deer.

Anyone got any tips or can suggest something I just diddnt want to waste my tag for the 3rd year in a row by shooting a small deer. I did it in maryland too.

I need help on this one real bad.

Ryan.
I go by the size of the head. A fawn will typically have a bridge between her eyes and knows (I often compare it to a dolphins head). A mature doe usually has no bridge and it seems her forehead is in a straight line with the tip of her nose.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

Actually what helped me with this problem more than anything else was the deer's body overall. Someone here once posted a couple of pictures and drew boxes around the deer. The head can be decpetive when taken alone as an indicator, but if you can imagine drawing a box which encompasses the deer standing at attention, a mature deer (buck or doe)will most resemble a rectangle, while a young deer will be more of a square. The older a deer gets, the longer their body gets. So when looking at a broadside deer, if it looks long it's probably a mature deer. Fawns will appear more boxy and....I guess symetrical (sp?). The head and neck on a mature deer will look long as well...the older the longer in my experience. Lastly, always be extra cautious when you encounter a lone "doe" this time of year. More often than not, it's just a button buck who has been run off from mama. I hope I made all that clear......

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:07 AM

Most of the time does aren't by themselves. If possible, wait to see several deer and then make your shot then. That's truly the only way to be sure. I shot a button buck once that I thought was alone doe due to this.

Of course waiting may not always be possible, so what's the worst that could happen? You shoot a very tasty yearling/fawn. While that might be something you want to do regularly, it is a part of management and certainly very legal. Just hunt and have fun.