Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think? >

OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

I went into this new spot yesterday for the first time.....and I couldn't believe how much bigger these woods seem while in them.....than they appear on the map, here. I only sat on the outskirts.....because, having never been in them....I had NO IDEA of where to set up.

Having looked at the map a little more intently, now.....what do you think of the stand sites I've picked out?

Where would YOU think of setting up?

Thanks for playing.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

Jeff, where do you think they are bedding? Is this a spot you are going to save until the pre-rut here in the next couple of weeks?
Old 10-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm not saving this spot for anything.....lol.

I'd have to "guess" they could be bedding anywhere in the yellow areas. The big area in yellow is a recent (in the last few years) clear cut thats grown up over head high, now.....and is thick. They could be anywhere in there. Also....everything you can see that's east of the purple line is part of the clear cut.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm not saving this spot for anything.....lol.

I'd have to "guess" they could be bedding anywhere in the yellow areas. The big area in yellow is a recent (in the last few years) clear cut thats grown up over head high, now.....and is thick. They could be anywhere in there. Also....everything you can see that's east of the purple line is part of the clear cut.

Jeff,
You must be doing better with these topo's, because those are almost exactly where I'd be trying to put stands if it were me doing some map scouting. The only other place I might think due north of the two spots to the southwest, right near that "7" of the 780. That soft draw and steep ravine near that field would seem to be a potentially productive spot as well.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

The only other place I might think due north of the two spots to the southwest, right near that "7" of the 780. That soft draw and steep ravine near that field would seem to be a potentially productive spot as well.
OH....you mean right here?

That's exactly where I set up yesterday. It looked great......gradual ridge leading to the field.....and I saw numerous rubs going up the ridge (I went up about 150yds....an sat there just to observe). The rubs were facing the field though....which would lead me to believe he made them headed BACK to his bed. They're this year's rubs, though....so maybe that's a good morning spot.

Honestly,.......I walked th efence line (where the blue line is there is a fence) and looked for likely crossing spots....and walked up when i found what looked to be a good one. The fence is in bad shape, though....and they could be crossing about anywhere.

It may have been wishful thinking.....but I thought I heard some movement in front of me (across that gulch) as I sat there, yesterday (prime time). You can't believe how deep/steep that gulch is, though. The topo doesn't do it justice. It looks like where bigfoots go to die.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The only other place I might think due north of the two spots to the southwest, right near that "7" of the 780. That soft draw and steep ravine near that field would seem to be a potentially productive spot as well.
OH....you mean right here?

That's exactly where I set up yesterday. It looked great......gradual ridge leading to the field.....and I saw numerous rubs going up the ridge (I went up about 150yds....an sat there just to observe). The rubs were facing the field though....which would lead me to believe he made them headed BACK to his bed. They're this year's rubs, though....so maybe that's a good morning spot.

Honestly,.......I walked th efence line (where the blue line is there is a fence) and looked for likely crossing spots....and walked up when i found what looked to be a good one. The fence is in bad shape, though....and they could be crossing about anywhere.
Jeff,
That is EXACTLY where I'd sit my first time in that place. I also my sneak up along the lesser used edge of that ravine in addition to the other spots you've got picked out. Steep ravines like that seem to often times have a nice little path going up them around here.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Check my amended post above, OH. That ravine is REALLY deep/steep. I thought about it....and if I were a deer....the travel would be awesome as far as stealth....but you'd also be VERY vulnerable to predators in there. It's steep.....REALLy steep/deep.

I thought I heard them coming down the ridge on the other side.....and when Lisa picked me up at the road at dark.....she said there were three deer in the field....lol. She also said she saw two there (right near the road) when she was coming home from the gym at about 6:30.

I just couldn't get over how big those woods are once you're in them. I feel like a complete ass for not looking at this piece any harder than I have. I guess the good side of that is.....these woods haven't been pressured. I'm gonna head up on that ridge (to hunt one of those spots....first time I get a good wind. I may even go to the most northern stand tomorrow night....as they're forecasting a SW wind.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

not sure if this has been said, that steep ravine is going to be a funnel....deer will either use it to travel of they can, or will be forced to go around it...ive had alot of luck in even small ravines(first deer was killed in a small ravine...maybe 20-30ft difference tops...it came walking right down the creek edge...the guy i was with LOVES those ravines...i guess more so in rifle season...but he says deer use them because they are somewhat "hidden" and feel safer...) bigger ravines, ive had luck with a stand at the top of them...deer gotta go around it, and its a natural funnel...they are going to find the shortest distance to get across, which is the top of it...or a point they use to travel it...

dont rule it out as being "too steep" nothing is too steep for a deer to travel....i had 1 push i used to beable to put on single man...the deer came out of the thicket and crossed a REALLLL steep ravine, down across the creek and up the other side...ive never seen them use it other than as an escape route...deer are naturally lazy and typically rather go around it, but dont rule out them crossing it...find the points they cross and it could be a hot spot...i know 1 ravine thats super steep as well and the deer cross it more times than go above it....youd think that going 200yds to the top would be better than climbing it...but they climb it all the time...ive climbed it on their trail and its one of the scariest climbs ive done lol...theres really times that 1 wrong move will send me 20-30ft down to the creek and its gunna put me in a world of hurt...thats actually one of my seeking/chasing phase stands...i have a smallll strip of woods between fields and a creek with a 60-80ft vertical highwall that is a perfect funnel...deer pop up after climbing that ravine all the time...perfect for me because they almost ALWAYS stop at the top....i had a 2.5yo hounding 4 does one morning...the 4 does took a breather are the top of the ravine and he came up behind them...they wanted no parts of him so he kept walking after he was kicked lol....
Old 10-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Mauser:

A deer can't climb this ravine ledge where I was looking at it yesterday. There were trees that had fallen that were standing straight up and down. It's THAT steep, there (On the east ridge, there). Maybe they can further up the ridge...and I'll check that out, for sure. What I'm really looking for, though, is the main travel routes to and from their bedding areas. What you're describing, Mauser.....would be perpendicular to that route.

On the west side of ravine.....it's not that steep. Maybe a 1:1 slope, there (which is really still steep).

I'm gonna give it a good look in the next week or so though....and see what I can see out there.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, for fear of sounding stupid, I've never asked this, but how do you guys pick the spots you've outlined here? Why would you pick one slope over another? Or why one side of a point over another? Because of wind direction?

Quick Reply: OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.