Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think? >

OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

Okay, for fear of sounding stupid, I've never asked this, but how do you guys pick the spots you've outlined here? Why would you pick one slope over another? Or why one side of a point over another? Because of wind direction?
It's just based on "likely" deer travel routes (based on terrain features). They're creatures of habit....and they'll utilize certain terrain features over others more times than not.

If I were looking at it (and had never been in there....which is a true scenario).....these are the travel routes I'd choose....

Old 10-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Check my amended post above, OH. That ravine is REALLY deep/steep. I thought about it....and if I were a deer....the travel would be awesome as far as stealth....but you'd also be VERY vulnerable to predators in there. It's steep.....REALLy steep/deep.

I thought I heard them coming down the ridge on the other side.....and when Lisa picked me up at the road at dark.....she said there were three deer in the field....lol. She also said she saw two there (right near the road) when she was coming home from the gym at about 6:30.

I just couldn't get over how big those woods are once you're in them. I feel like a complete ass for not looking at this piece any harder than I have. I guess the good side of that is.....these woods haven't been pressured. I'm gonna head up on that ridge (to hunt one of those spots....first time I get a good wind. I may even go to the most northern stand tomorrow night....as they're forecasting a SW wind.
Jeff,
I don't think they'll walk directly in the ravine, but they'll use a lip along one side or the other of it. As Mauser alluded to, it's gonna work as a funnel, you just have to figure out which way it works. A place I just got permission on is full of these STEEP ravines, and I'm not 100% sure how to hunt it yet, but if I do kill something there, I'll have some WORK to do to get it out!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, for fear of sounding stupid, I've never asked this, but how do you guys pick the spots you've outlined here? Why would you pick one slope over another? Or why one side of a point over another? Because of wind direction?
It's just based on "likely" deer travel routes (based on terrain features). They're creatures of habit....and they'll utilize certain terrain features over others more times than not.

If I were looking at it (and had never been in there....which is a true scenario).....these are the travel routes I'd choose....

I saw your first post and chose 1 spot.. if I was to hunt it for 1 day.

Then.. I found that you answered your own Q.

Just above the 850 mark (to the right). 2 white lines pinch to chase the side of the ridge at the top of the creek bed. As close to the red line of the property boundary.. with a shot that can be reached to that thick green.

Classic. And I would venture to guess the bucks have rubbed that thick stuff well. Or insane!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

There's no way they're using the actual ravine to travel.....but the ridge to the west (where I was yesterday) is definitely being used. The penninsula to the west is very steep.....and I'll let you know if I see trails over there, after I sit over there, tomorrow. I thought I heard movement over there, yesterday....and if I did....it could be a very good sit, tomorrow. The wind will be in my favor.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Dominant Buck

You talking about here, Mike?

Old 10-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

You talking about here, Mike?

Word. Or a little to the left. Just make sure you can shoot to that thick stuff. About 20-35 yards off it. If you can.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I know you said "if you only had one sit" Mike.....so I "might" hold back a little and hunt some fringe spots, first.

What wind would you go in THERE (the spot you picked) on? I'm intrigued.

SE? S? (assuming evening hunt)

I'll needto mark some stuff if I'm going in there in the AM's. What about a morning wind? There's a LOT of potential land to get disturbed if you pick the wrong wind in that spot.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

S.. SSE.. SE.. SSW.. SW(maybe).

All day sits during chasing period. But I wouldn't get into there til about 10ish.

Or any evening with a good wind.

NO mornings.

Be cautious when entering. Take your time and don't make so much noise. Just creep into that set.

I would be GREATLY surprised if you didn't see a really good buck in there.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

As always.....Thanks, Mike

I'll keep this for reference....and give you a footnote if I'm successful.

(Actually.....if I'm successful ANYWHERE....you're probably due one of those)
Old 10-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Spike

what i can see looks pretty good you every consider the insidecorner on the lower left side or the outside corner on the right side closer to the bedding area, reason i ask because i'm reading a book on mapping trophy bucks by bard herndon and he talks about inside and outside corners

Quick Reply: OK Topo guys....Whatta ya think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.