Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What to do in stand? >

What to do in stand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do in stand?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to do in stand?

IA..I had a guy tell me he used this technique this year to bring in some smaller does the first week of season. He saw them, dropped acorns at a good rate (ones that he had picked up on the way in) and the deer migrated toward him. I have never tried it.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Quite honestly what is hunting about anymore? I mean if you're going to listen to music why dont you just sit in your house (owned by your parents) and listen to music there? If you want to listen to music that basically implys all you are out there for is to kill an animal. Isnt hunting supposed to be about more than just a kill? I mean to me I love just being out in the woods, watching nature, seeing deer, and being by myself. How can you do those things with music ringing in your ears?
I have no idea how you came to this conclusion.

I love being in the woods and taking in all the nature around me. In fact, I live for it. There are very few things that I love more than climbing high up in a tree and watching the wonderful sights around me. It is personal for everyone, and I enjoy it much more than most...I would venture to say.

Bottom line-just because I listen to a couple songs during the mid-day sits, doesn't mean I amin thatstandfor the sole purpose of killing. It is about SO much more than that.
Agreed, what I wrote was a bit misleading. Let me expound on what I meant. To me, if you are listening to music, then you arent going to at the top of your game, you cant hear the sounds of the woods, you cant give 100% of your attention to hunting etc. so to me it seems like if you need to be listening to that music, its like"hunting" alone is too boring to you, and you need to listen to music while you pass the time waiting for a deer to walk by justso you can kill it.
And again, I feel this way because if you're preoccupied with listening to that music, then you arent taking in what hunting is actually all about; the sounds, the sights, the presence of being in the woods away from society and everything else. Instead you're just there in the woods as a killer, not a hunter.

This is just me expanding on what I meant. Now that I've had time to think about this whole thing I wish I hadn't posted in the first place because people can hunt however they want. We each have our own ways, you do yours and Ill do mine. I didnt need to make it a big deal I suppose.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:39 PM

fingerz42, no biggie

I'm sure you didn't mean to come across like that. I could have just taken it the wrong way.

I just wanted to get the point across that I do in fact love the sights, sounds, and smells of nature. I love it all. As I'm sure you do, too.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

why would you even consider listening to music while hunting? Please don't get mad I just find this kinda ridiculous/hilarious
Old 10-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Typical Buck

OnOctober 1st I spent the day in my stand hunting while writing an essay for my English Comp II class. It wasnt by choice though. I either got it done at home or in the woods so I figured what the heck. Usually I am good for 3-4 hours till I get antsy, I have always thought about bringing something to entertain myself, but never have. Somedays I enjoy the calm serenity of the woods and other days I want something to entertain myself. Heck the IPhone would be great. You could look through aerial photos or surf the internet.......maybe HNI.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

I just eat and fall asleep in stand. Deer always wake me up for some reason?? Lol
Old 10-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

Why not just take in all of the surroundings?
I agree, that's one of the best things about hunting there young fellar! Leave the stuff home and learn something In the woods.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

that could be looked at as baiting.
ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

IA..I had a guy tell me he used this technique this year to bring in some smaller does the first week of season. He saw them, dropped acorns at a good rate (ones that he had picked up on the way in) and the deer migrated toward him. I have never tried it.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM

I dont think wearing headphones in the stand has any impact on the way deer act. The only problem with that is you wont be able to hear them coming.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

that could be looked at as baiting.

quote:

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Okay lets switch it up...what if he dropped rocks that mimicked the sounds of acorns...is that baiting?

Quick Reply: What to do in stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.