HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How's your season going? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/268543-hows-your-season-going.html)

GMMAT 10-17-2008 10:31 AM

How's your season going?

My harvest numbers are down from the last two seasons.....and I'm JUST fine with that. I know I had more down at this point in '06....and I had 7 down to this point, last year. Also....my sightings are down....which is also a good thing. ONLY thing I'd like to just SEE is a few more bucks. I've already had more (individual bucks) sightings of them than I had all last year, too....in about half the sits.

Still......I've had a GREAT season, so far.

How's it going for you guys....in general?

Vabowman 10-17-2008 10:33 AM

RE: How's your season going?

pretty much the same as yours Jeff, accept the weather has kept me out of the woods this yr.. it's just too darn hot...

mobow 10-17-2008 10:35 AM

Other than the heat....It's been a good season so far. I've seen 2 racked bucks, which is the earliest in the season I've ever seen one. I've had deer closer to me than I've ever had (5 feet at one point), I've deer under my stand for long periods of time.....My scent control is working beautifully....I'm refining my entry/exit routes....And I've had legitimate shots at 15 deer so far. Not bad for only hunting weekends.

The weather is much cooler, leaves are turning colors, flood waters have receded......It gets nothing but better from here out.

RackLuster 10-17-2008 10:38 AM

mine is going good too.

Igot a glimpse of a really nice buck. My sightings are way up. I've taken 2 does which is all i want at this point (I might try for another after the rut). I've seen deer 13 of the 21 times I've hunted (that's awesome for me). And, I've passed on two smaller bucks. I can't complain!!!

Last year at this time I had found out I was having 2 surgeries in december, missed 2.5 weeks in october for preparation stuff for the surgeries, and I found out that I couldn't hunt most of the rut because of work. So, I'm happy!!!

buckmaster 10-17-2008 10:38 AM

Best season Ive ever had so far.;)Ive had close to around 30 sightings, Though Im sure some are the same group of deer, Ive also spotted one monster while recovering my first doe. But only 2 confirmed buck sightings in totalso far.

I harvested 2 does in my first week of hunting. Didnt hunt nearly as hard this week, but next week is looking good as the temps start to drop.

twildasin 10-17-2008 10:43 AM

some meat in the freezer! I hope things get a whole lot better this weekend when Rob/pa, Ben/pa, and Matt/pa and myself hunt togethor!

YooperMike 10-17-2008 10:51 AM

Not bad so far, got permission on a new property that I had never set foot on until opening day. So far, so good. I've seen deer, had some shot opps that I passed on, and saw one good buck to this point. I'm looking forward to the leaves coming down some, thick as hell on this piece of ground. Totally new terrain for me, big ravines, lots of funneling terrain features, which is nice to have. So, hopefully I can get something done in the buck department!

jackflap 10-17-2008 10:54 AM

About normal. Haven't started shooting any doe yet, as I am still hunting areas for the 1st time and hoping to catch a mature buck "off his game" before the pressure of gun season starts in a few weeks.

Lots of doe/fawns and 1.5 yo bucks, several 2.5 yo bucks but only one 3.5+yo.I think he is a solid 135"-140"- 10 point. I have seen him twice entering a milo fielda good 30 minutes before dark, but both times he has been over 125 yards out.

Schultzy 10-17-2008 11:00 AM

My season has been a good one for only going out twice so far. My 1st sit I saw 10 deer, 6 of which I could o shot- doe and 2 fawns and 3 smaller bucks. Last evening was my best sit. I passed on a decent buck- http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3108116. I forgot to mention I also had 2 doe's In range as well. It was an all together productive hunt!

MGH_PA 10-17-2008 11:03 AM

Decent. My sightings are up even from last year (which were WAY up from the previous years). I'm doing more right, but it's also because the herd is getting bigger. I don't think it's to the point that our land is above or at it's carrying capacity, but I would like to see a few doe taken out. I'm working on that myself. Passed on a smallish 6 this season which is earlier than I saw a buck last year. I would have to check my journal, but I think I'm at about 45-50 sightings in 13 sits so far. I also have a flock of turkeys pegged, so as long as they continue on their pattern, I will have a legitimate shot come fall season.