Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question about Illinois regs >

question about Illinois regs

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question about Illinois regs

Old 10-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: question about Illinois regs

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I've got two hospitals to see yet today Hobbes, and after that you're exactly right -- that's my exact intention. Just wanted to get some general feedback this morningbefore I get there.

Rob, you're right; your bow must be in an enclosed case while it's in your vehicle.
Or I can Tie Wrap the string/cables correct?
Old 10-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can not find it in the regs either. Call Brad Huson at the Alton, Illinois DNR office. He is a nice guy, as far as CPOs go, and will be able to tell you where (if at all) in the regs to find that requirement.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is uncased, you can zip tie the cables and you are fine. Any bow that leaves the shop I go always get zip-tied if there is no case. Show me the guy that can do a drive-by with a bow...pretty sure my Commander may be just a tad long in the ATA department to get proper clearance!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted in IL last year and it WAS in effect in the county I was in - for your bow in the vehicle. Cased or cables/string locked up somehow was the rule. It didn't matter to me, my bow is almost always cased so no big deal.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

The "cased-inside-a-vehicle" law is entirely separate -- though worth noting and following, obviously -- than the law I was inquiring about. Hopefully, as several have mentioned, it's been done away with.

I, too, always case my bow in my Jeep simply to ensure I keep scratches down to a minimum as it's in the back with my game cart and stands.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I attended a hunter safety course with my son in July. The CO brought in an adjustable chain link as display to show a properly locked bow string.[&:]I don't know if it is still a law or not....I think its an instance of "law enforcement by emotion".[>:]
Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a padlock that Master makes. It is basically a locker pad lock that has a 3 digit code on it. It works great for locking up a bow and you don't have to worry about loosing a dang key.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

The law states that the bow must EITHER: be in a case or made inoperable while being transported in a vehicle. Doesn't have to be in the case in a vehicle, just made inoperable by a lock or cable tie, vague in what causes it to be inoperable, but i would just be safe and put it in the case, too expensive to just have sitting around uncased anyways.

BTW, as for the CO comments, it isn't like the CPOs don't want to bust folks that are poaching deer from the road or lack the effort.....but that is a very tough case to make without an admission or actually witnessing the activity, consequences of our court system. Unfortunately, these PETTY violations that they seem to always cite folks for, are not difficult to prosecute, so naturally they will cite more folks for them. I admit, some CPOs are more strict than others, but they are granted power of discretion, and it isn't too terribly difficult for us sportsmen to follow the law.When I was 12 years old, I got cited for illegal transportation of a firearm. The ol' boys and I alwaysjumped on the back of ouratvs and enjoyed a rideinto our hunting area with unloaded but uncased shotguns. I wasn't at the time, but I believe theol boys were, aware thatit was illegal and myself and oneof the ol boys, on our way back were cited for the violation. Thinking back, I was frustrated, but realizedhow easily this couldhave been avoided. I wastheone that was ignorant,not the officer, he was just doing his job. Just an opinion.

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I've got two hospitals to see yet today Hobbes, and after that you're exactly right -- that's my exact intention. Just wanted to get some general feedback this morningbefore I get there.

Rob, you're right; your bow must be in an enclosed case while it's in your vehicle.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 PM

The law for transport in a vehicle (atv, tractor, lawnmower, whatever) is still applicable, but Greg/Mo is referring "to and from the stand", not in the vehicle. The regs used to clearly state that the bow had to be cased or otherwise made inoperable if shooting hours were not in. In otherwords, while walking to and from the stand early morning and late evening.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hobbes

The law for transport in a vehicle (atv, tractor, lawnmower, whatever) is still applicable, but Greg/Mo is referring "to and from the stand", not in the vehicle. The regs used to clearly state that the bow had to be cased or otherwise made inoperable if shooting hours were not in. In otherwords, while walking to and from the stand early morning and late evening.
Hobbes is correct...Only need to be locked or cased while operating a vehicle of ANY kind. The only requirement for carrying a bow is 'You cannot have a arrow nockedbefore or after shooting hours While walkingOR On stand or hunting off the ground.'

[align=left]Region 3[/align][align=left]1556 State Route 54[/align][align=left]Clinton, IL 61727[/align][align=left]217-935-6860 ext 228[/align]Acting Capt. Duane Pitchford

I am glad I called, because I never knew about the nocking law once in your stand or ground blind. I always nocked my arrow once I got in my tree even when pitch black outside.

Quick Reply: question about Illinois regs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.