Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 reading deer hair after the shot? >

reading deer hair after the shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

reading deer hair after the shot?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Spike

Default reading deer hair after the shot?

Well, I posted yesterday on a deer I hit that I couldn't find. I thought I made a good hit until I saw my arrow with only a few light streaks of meat blood on it. The only sign on the ground I saw was hair. Can you tell where you hit by looking at the hair. The hair I found is about 1.25" long (max), and slightly wavy. Its a dark brown until it turns a light tan 3/4 of the way up and then a black tip. Just figured I'd ask? thanks
Old 10-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: reading deer hair after the shot?

1st off welcome to our family!Sounds like a possible leg hit? The obvious is white hair which would be a low hit but possibly still lethal.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

Meat blood and hair I would guess you either grazed the deer high or low. Were all fletchings covered in blood?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:01 PM
Spike

No, only 2 of the fletchings had blood. If I were to guess, I think I grazed his back. He was very alert before I shot so maybe he jumped the string. It happened so fast I couldn't tell what really happened.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Very good book "TRAILING WHITETAILS" it is our bible at hunting camp, we don't leave home without out it!

SEARCH the Scene of the Hit for Clues

What you find here can help you determine what type of hit you're working with. Let things quiet down after the shot for five to ten minutes before moving to check the scene (if lighting and/or weather conditions will allow it). Be as quiet as possible when you make your move as the animal may still be alive and close by.

The most important clue to be found here is the arrow (which will be discussed in the next section), but hair cut off by the broadhead's entry and/or exit can provide important information too. This is especially true with whitetails... if you know what color hair comes from what part of a deer's body. This chart from Trailing Whitetails can be very helpful in determining the nature of a hit, especially less than perfect ones.

An Identification Guide to Whitetail Deer Hair

Heart and Lung Hair
Very coarse, very long dark hair, with black tips.

Stomach or
Side Hair

Very coarse, hollow, brownish gray and medium length. Tips are not dark as they are higher up on the deer.

Navel Hair
All white, hollow, very coarse and very long. Will appear curly and twisted.

Spine Hair
Very coarse, hollow, long dark gray hair with black tips.

Top of
Back Hair

Very coarse, hollow, long dark gray hair with black tips. Shorter than spine hair.

Ham Hair
Very coarse, medium length, and dark gray with dark tips,

Lower Leg
Hair

Coarse, medium to short in length, gray to brown in color with dark tips.

Hair Between
Hind Legs

Not hollow, very fine, white and silky, and also curly.

Brisket
Very coarse, long and dark gray, with dark tips. Very stiff, but can curl.

Neck Hair
Dark gray and short. Front of neck will be light gray to white, also short.

Tail Hair
Top hair is dark and wavy, very long and tipped in black. Underneath is white and also wavy.

Reprinted with permission from "Trailing Whitetails," by John Trout, Jr.
Brisket? Tail? LOL sorry
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM

For some reason im thinking you hit him low right at the leg because of the hairs being curly. That could be a lethal shot but you said only 2 vanes had blood so you prob just grazed him.

Bowtech i like that read but deer are different colors and you really cant go by color for where the hair is from.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Bowtech i like that read but deer are different colors and you really cant go by color for where the hair is from.
You are right deer are different colors but the basic hair coloring is the same with just a slight varainces on all deer. I'm just repeating what has been researched and write in one very good book and one proven authority on whitetails