Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about the rut in Kentucky >

Question about the rut in Kentucky

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about the rut in Kentucky

Old 10-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question about the rut in Kentucky

I know this is the bow forum but this is a rifle question ... I am trying to make my plans to rifle hunt next month here in west Kentucky and with this being only my second season to hunt up here I need a little help deciding which days to take off work. Last year I was off most of the rifle season but did not see much rut action until about the 20th so I feel like I wasted a number of days earlier .I have been told by several deer hunters here that the rifle season (Nov.8th-23rd)and the rut generally are close to the same times however this year it appears that there will be a full moon right in the middle of rifle season (10th-16th)...I was wondering if some of you veteran Kentucky hunters could enlighten me when would be the best time to hunt and if i n your opinion the full moon will effect the rut?

dd
Paducah Ky
Old 10-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about the rut in Kentucky

Scott, rut dates are Oct.15-Dec.15,peak rut is Nov.5-20. If I had to pick a week to gun hunt it would be Nov.8-14. Lock down is between Nov. 13-17.I like crazy week which isNov.1-7.

I've read some on moon phase but these dates are consistently the same, regardless of moon phase. Good luck...I hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

thank you Josh that helps ...I took off last year the first week of rifle season and saw very little in regards to rut ..I did see a lot of deer but it was not until around Thanksgiving that I actually saw bucks chasing doe's ..Ive been told by some old timers that last years rut was late and not the norm ..again thanks for the info and good luck to you this year.

dd
Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

EHD played a big roll in last year[:@], things are looking good this yearBack to norm
Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Yea, there were a lot of factors for last year. IMO of course. Anyways, let me just say that this is the first year that I have really started looking at more than wind/weather during the season. I have also looked at a couple of different "rut predictors" if you will. Based on everything that I have seen, the seeking phase should start during our opening weekend of Nov 8 and that is when I want to bein the woods. I'm planning on taking a few days prior and bowhunting before the "orange army" hits the woods. Then maybe a couple of days into the next week.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Josh. Im going to try and get back down there the last week of Oct or the first week of Nov.
ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Scott, rut dates are Oct.15-Dec.15,peak rut is Nov.5-20. If I had to pick a week to gun hunt it would be Nov.8-14. Lock down is between Nov. 13-17.I like crazy week which isNov.1-7.

I've read some on moon phase but these dates are consistently the same, regardless of moon phase. Good luck...I hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look me up Dink, I'm of work fromOct.25th to Nov.7th.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Will do sent you a pm
ORIGINAL: gri22ly

Look me up Dink, I'm of work fromOct.25th to Nov.7th.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two very reputable Wildlife Biologists here at school have Nov. 12th pegged as the peak of the rut this year.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: psebwhntr16

Two very reputable Wildlife Biologists here at school have Nov. 12th pegged as the peak of the rut this year.
Thanks Jake, so there you go, the week before the 12th will be the best, 12th-16th will be slow, then things will pick back up after the 16th.

Quick Reply: Question about the rut in Kentucky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.