Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK wind players..... >

OK wind players.....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK wind players.....

Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: OK wind players.....

If I was after a particular buck in a particular location (Greg's situation) I'd be looking for the perfect wind - nothing less. If it's under 5 I'll go where I think they'll be.

Bad wind - hit an observation stand or pick a lesser location.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

what's wind?....nah, i dont hunt if its blowin....but sometimes I take the off chance that right at twighlight there will be a calm...such as a couple weeks ago I was out...wind was blowing hard...then the last magic 30min came, it calmed to near nothing, saw deer, got dark, got to the truck after dark, and wind starts blowing again
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may be new to bowhunting, but not to hunting. I've gotta tell you, Jeff - you've got a better chance of being winded in a 1-3 mph wind than a 15-20 mph wind... especially when the deer are going to be up close and personal (bowhunting). That almost imperceptable breeze lets your scent molecules drop much more quickly but will still spreadthe scentdownwind. It'll also make your scent more potent close to your stand. If I absolutely HAD to hunt with an unfavorable wind, I'd much rather it be blowing hard
Old 10-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Rybo.

I do my best to hunt the right wind, but honestly, where I hunt....the wind changes so much it just pisses me off almost every time I hunt. I'd rather have a steady stronger wind....at least there is a chance it will stay in the same general direction for more than 15 minutes. If I was in a situation like Greg's....I would not go there unless the wind was right. HOWEVER...inevitably, if it started out right - it wouldn't stay that way in most cases (for me). I have no idea how anyone can play the wind all the time, unless your wind stays steady regularly...which I rarely see. Some of the places I hunt the wind swirls ALL the time, so I'd never be able to hunt if I only played the wind. 20+ years of fighting the wind, sometimes I wonder if its even worth it. LOL
Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Site Buck Guru

One - If the wind is less than 5 mph and it's clear and sunny, I'll hunt knowing that the thermals will lift my scent up and out of there.

Two - If the wind is not blowing from EXACTLY the right direction for my set up, I will not hunt.

It's not about what makes me happy, it's about what the deer will tolerate. I don't believeANY scent control methods will prevent a deer from winding you if the wind is in their favor, so I don't risk it.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Where Im hunting now, I play the wind for the walk in...once I get within 50 yards of my stand the wind begins toswirl...I have yet to have a consistant day where the wind is continually blowing in one direction.(Hunting just below andeast of a high ridge).So I play it to an extent.
I do prefer it being around 15-20 for scent reasons....my theory, although may be rediculous, the harder the wind blowing, the harder for a deer to pick it up. I think in a 5-10 mph. is slowly carries the scent right to them, but with the wind blowing hard, and the currents swirrling with 'other' scents, I think it's harder for them to pick up on. Yeah, I know high winds have a tendancy to keep deer bedded more than normal, but they have to move sometime.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

If you keep hunting the wind like you are I think In time you won't even ask yourself this question anymore.
You're likely right, Schultzy.

If I was after a particular buck in a particular location (Greg's situation) I'd be looking for the perfect wind - nothing less. If it's under 5 I'll go where I think they'll be.
Well...I WAS after a particular buck, this morning....so I did set up in an observation stand that was a COOL sit. Didn't see anything...but I didn't see a bunch of does, either (which is a good thing). Saw some new rubs and a TON of tracks....so hopefully (no.....it WAS) it was a good sit. I also found a little spot I'm gonna try next time I get this same wind about 100yds down the line to the S. Looks REALLY good. Lots of sign. So a GREAT hunt, nonetheless.

I may be new to bowhunting, but not to hunting. I've gotta tell you, Jeff - you've got a better chance of being winded in a 1-3 mph wind than a 15-20 mph wind... especially when the deer are going to be up close and personal (bowhunting). That almost imperceptable breeze lets your scent molecules drop much more quickly but will still spreadthe scentdownwind. It'll also make your scent more potent close to your stand. If I absolutely HAD to hunt with an unfavorable wind, I'd much rather it be blowing hard
I have to agree. Forecast was for CALM to begin with....with a W wind at 2mph starting at 7:00. First time I saw the leaves shake I hit the puffer....and although I had a good thermal where I was....I could tell that I did NOT want my scent going the wrong way at 2MPH. I made the right call. I'm sure of it.

There was also VERY little chance of a deer coming in from the wrong direction where I set up this morning. I made sure of that, too.

One - If the wind is less than 5 mph and it's clear and sunny, I'll hunt knowing that the thermals will lift my scent up and out of there.

Two - If the wind is not blowing from EXACTLY the right direction for my set up, I will not hunt.

It's not about what makes me happy, it's about what the deer will tolerate. I don't believeANY scent control methods will prevent a deer from winding you if the wind is in their favor, so I don't risk it.
That's good stuff, greg. It's taken me a while to get on board.....but I have to say....you were right and I was wrong. I've killed them when they came in from downwind from me, before, too.....BUT....I think the thermal situation you describe MUST have been in my favor (unbeknownst to me). While trying to religiously play the wind, this year, I've been winded more times than I can remember.....and the thermals usually are the culprit. When the wind laid down, yesterday evening.....I shoud have skidaddled. I didn't....and luckily it was only a doe that got antsy with me. If it had been "him".....I might have screwed the pooch. I STILL may have and don't even know it.

In the past....I had only 2 choices:

1. Hunt when I had time off and take my chances (ALL my hunting lands bordered their bedding areas......with the bedding areas being to the south. I could only take my chances at less desireable spots with any wind with an "N" in it. Now I have options......and though a N wind isn't desired....I have places now I can hunt it.

2. Stay home.

I hunted. it worked out in the end....but I won't be doing that as a general rule, this year.

Once the temps get low.....all bets are off on a light wind. I'm hunting where I know he IS.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well we have a North wind today and I know where I am headed

When the wind lays down, it sucks, your scent just lingers around your stand.[:@]
Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

We've got a front moving in right now and the wind is blowing at about 10 mph and should stay that way all night. It's now blowing out of the west and will be shifting north to a NW wind by dark. This is perfect for the stand I'm hoping to hunt. If that wind was in the least bit out of the south I would be staying at work late instead of leaving early.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:59 AM

I always play the wind when selecting a stand. But, I'm fortunate to have several locations to hunt that allow me to choose accordingly. If you have access to one or two stand sites only it would be tough. As far as deer not winding you when they are "downwind". Your scent stream is not hitting them in the face. Weather its because of swirling winds, thermals, or whatever......your scent stream has not hit their nose.

I wash and spray down and take all precautions (besides the carbon suit). But, I know there are no two ways about it.........if your scent stream hits their nose your done. I try to elimante as much odor as I can, but the infomercials can rave all they want about deer not smelling you. You can not eliminate all odors. I'mplaying the wind.

Quick Reply: OK wind players.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.