HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Early October marshland buck. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/268300-early-october-marshland-buck.html)

dukemichaels 10-15-2008 07:42 PM

Early October marshland buck.

Even though it's been about a week. Thought I'd share a little hunting news that some may not be aware of.

Last Thursday night October 09, 2008 I was able to take down a bull of a body swamp ghost. The buck field dressed in at 194 lbs. which would have put him about 230ish on the hoof. It is my estimation that the swampland creature is aged 4 years.. but it is very possible he's much older as I've had several conversations about this over the past week. Won't know an age til my taxi. takes a proper look.

Anyway.. I acquired this new piece of ground last December-ish. Hunted it 2 or 3 times just after Christmas of 2007. Saw a few does and 1 yote.

I returned here several times throughout March and April on shed missions and to develop a plan for hunting this ground the following year of 2008.

I finally decided on a tree way back in March where 2 distinct rub lines met. One of the rub lines stretched nearly 1/2 a mile through nasty swamp.

The plan for this piece of property going into this year was not to hunt it unless under warmer temps.. as it offered plenty of shade trees to get bedded deer out of the swamp and sunlight.. and the property had a very small pond with a fresh spring within it.

-OR-

When the breeding season kicked into swing causing deer to move earlier and hopefully head in the direction of a AG field that is about 2 miles away.

A warm front blew in Wednesday October 8th.. but I did not hunt. It needed another day and temps to continue to climb.

Thursday, Oct. 9th it came with gentle WNW winds at about 7-10 mph and a balmy 75 degrees.

At 5 minutes to 4 pm I was set into my stand and waiting. I got my anus beat by my phones chessmaster twice before putting it away.[:@]

At 4:30 pm I caught some cattails moving about 60 yards out. Within a moment out stepped 3 bucks including the one I took. He was clearly mature from the moment I saw him as he appeared ENORMOUS when standing to either of the other 2 bucks he was with. A 1 yr old and a respective 2 yr old.

After 10 minutes of watching them feed closer.. then away.. then closer.. then away.. I decided to make a move and pulled out my True Talker just as a small doe passed within range.

Which gave me an idea. So I waited about 2 minutes til she cleared and would have been near the small pond.

I gave a soft doe bawl that was medium in length. He threw his head up.. then put his head back down.

I then threw out 2 soft aggressive buck grunts back to back. This time he just turned his body towards me.. and I knew he was coming.

He never really looked up but fed quickly my way. Within moments he was within range (16 yards) and I drew.. and released.

The buck ran no more than 40 yards and fell within sight. By 4:47ish it was all over.

I've always believed in 'right time.. right buck'.. and he was a perfect example of this. It was the right day.. and he displayed the right buck attitude by moving during daylight on the ground the hunter was on. It all starts with a plan.

Vito1 10-15-2008 07:46 PM

RE: Early October marshland buck.

Great plan, great buck! Congrats.

onehornjimmy 10-15-2008 07:50 PM

Great story and good lucking buck Duke -- lots of character on that guy!

muckland 10-15-2008 07:51 PM

Very Nice...Congrats...Great Story aswell:D

RockinChair 10-15-2008 07:51 PM

Congrats Mike- good buck and good story. You're right that thing is a bull of a buck.

Also- awesome gameplan. I bet it's a great feeling to put a gameplan together and have it all come together with a successful harvest. I've got a 'plan' for a particular buck I'll be hunting this year but through two sits the plan hasn't come together yet![:'(] I still trust it though and refuse to hunt it under the wrong conditions.

bowmanaj 10-15-2008 07:59 PM

Great buck and great story. Thats a huge neck on him and its still early!. Congrats

mauser06 10-15-2008 08:05 PM

awesome!! congrats DM!!! love the ends of the main beams!! my buddy took one last year that curled up exactly like yours does!!!

great story....will give me a little hope when im sitting out there on them warm days sayin "man there aint no stinkin deer movin in this heat, let alone a shooter buck!"

rgargasz 10-15-2008 08:09 PM

congrats, its good to hear when a good hunter puts together a plan through hard work and it all comes together. be proud of that beast!
Great Job

Huntinman23 10-15-2008 08:11 PM

congrats on the deer man great story
[align=left] [/align]

lifesadrag 10-15-2008 08:59 PM

Congrats on a great buck......and putting a great plan together.

Schultzy 10-15-2008 09:05 PM

Congrats once again Mike!! Great story, well done!!:)

gregrn43 10-15-2008 09:09 PM

Nice buck congrats

hatchet jack 10-15-2008 09:10 PM

Great Plan,Great story and a Great buck! Congrats!!!

Hatchet Jack

SwampCollie 10-15-2008 09:14 PM

Seriously Duke.... if I could even begin to conceptualize whitetail behavior and movement like you can.... I'd probably be out of buck tags already..... how in the holy crap did you figure that out and time it like that? Its just amazing to me.... congrats on a fine deer and a fine plan brother!!!!

hatchet jack 10-15-2008 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Seriously Duke.... if I could even begin to conceptualize whitetail behavior and movement like you can.... I'd probably be out of buck tags already..... how in the holy crap did you figure that out and time it like that? Its just amazing to me.... congrats on a fine deer and a fine plan brother!!!!
He's good that's for sure! MY HERO!!!!

Hatchet Jack

SuperRedHawk 10-15-2008 09:24 PM

Good stuff Duke, Great lookin buck!

bowhuntn87 10-15-2008 09:24 PM

good story and nice buck!

Hobbes 10-15-2008 09:25 PM

Congrats!

Oneshot7 10-15-2008 09:26 PM

Nice buck Duke, but oyu should know t have pleasing pics for Germ [8D]

They have marshlands in Illinois ??

GMMAT 10-15-2008 09:39 PM

That's my boy!

Way to go Mike. Textbook (like I know where THAT library is....lol).

I'm going to an observation stand in the morning and kinda "sacrificing" a hunt. I'll have my bow (just in case)....but where this guy goes every night is still a mystery, to me. Maybe he'll let me see him.

Keep up the inspiring hunting.;)

ScottF2345 10-16-2008 12:29 AM

Congrats, what an awesome buck!

dmen 10-16-2008 04:56 AM

great job, it is members like you with these stories and tips that make it possible for rookies like myselfto be succesful, thanks for sharing the knowledge.

PABowhntr 10-16-2008 05:17 AM

Congratulations. He looks like a Hawg!

hardcorehunter 10-16-2008 05:17 AM

Congrats on a nice buck!!!!!!!!!!!

tsoc 10-16-2008 05:30 AM

Congratulations Duke! Thats a hoss of a buck! You really are to be respected with the way you go about your hunting! You earned him congratulations!

njbuck22 10-16-2008 05:39 AM

Great job on a great buck. You got to love when a plan comes together.

dukemichaels 10-16-2008 05:55 AM

Thanks for all the kind words gents.

I must admit I was not expecting him to show up. A mature doe would have been great too.. but he was welcomed once I spotted him. Not bad for my 3rd or 4th sit ever on this ground.

As far as my hunting is concerned. All it is.. is alot of scouting in the off season and miles and miles and miles put on my legs during the shedding months. Basically.. alot of work and prep.[&:]

I stick to a plan for every piece I am allowed to hunt.. and never break it. I wait for the right wind and the right conditions before I head out. I try never to second guess myself. And I'm not afraid to hang right in a bucks bedroom and just use the element of surprise as my advantage.

Trust me.. there is some failure that goes with it. (i just don't write about that) But my successes have been good over the past few years because of those failures.

Thanks again gents. And good luck to everyone who is still hunting. I hope you get on a good one... I really do.

(i still have 1 more buck tag left too.;))

NCRemington700 10-16-2008 06:13 AM

Awesome job! Great buck.

2 Lunger 10-16-2008 06:14 AM

Duke,

Congrats! That is an impressive mature buck. What's more impressive was your game plan! It sure is nice when a game plan comes together. Congrats on your success! You sure do have an understanding of these deer.

huntingson 10-16-2008 06:25 AM

Great job Duke! I am happy it all worked out for you.

mobuckhunter79 10-16-2008 06:34 AM

Nice buck congrats

buckeyehntr5 10-16-2008 06:35 AM

Congrats Duke on a job well done. Sounds like it was a great hunt.

Vabowman 10-16-2008 07:04 AM

good job Duke!!

TreednNC 10-16-2008 07:05 AM

Awesome job! I would love to know what his age is. Looking at his face, he looks like an old warrior. Id say older than 4.5. Im wrong more often than right tho lol

Western MA Hunter 10-16-2008 07:06 AM

very nice...

SouthDakotaHunter 10-16-2008 07:43 AM

He's a brute Mike, congrats again!!

kshunter 10-16-2008 07:48 AM

Congrats Duke! Way to go

WV Hunter 10-16-2008 07:52 AM

Great buck and I loved the story...a plan that worked! Congrats :D

7VALLEYS 10-16-2008 08:39 AM

Congrats -way to stick with your plan;)

mofireman 10-16-2008 09:15 AM

Nice Duke!! Way to seal the deal. Monster of a swamp buck.