Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Disappointed in new Slick Trick >

Disappointed in new Slick Trick

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Disappointed in new Slick Trick

Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Disappointed in new Slick Trick

ORIGINAL: lou-lou

I don't know much about these heads but damn, if it can pass thru a drum what's it going to do to a deer?
Well, I'm quite confident that you'll have two holes... one on either side. You might want to consider bringing a shovel and pick axe with you hunting, because you might have to dig down a few feet to get your arrow out of the dirt after a pass through.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

That bow too fast for them to jump the string, atleast 30 yds. in. Out 40 to 50 maybe. You should be in good shape.
I sure hope no one believes this.
I sure don't and it's comments like this that makes me worry about some people.

That bow and any other bow out there is not too fast for deer to jump (they actually drop). Make sure you know what you're talking about before making comments like this.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

The bow needs to be going somewhere around 2000 fps in order to hit a deer who jumps the string. I will gladly bring a shovel and a pick axe with me if I get a chance at old mossy horns. One can never have too much penitration!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 AM

ORIGINAL: lnen#1

That bow too fast for them to jump the string, atleast 30 yds. in. Out 40 to 50 maybe. You should be in good shape.
Did you really mean that?

Sorry to differ with you but there isn't a bow made that can send an arrow faster than a deer can react. I went to PSE bowschool in Pheonix and as part of the class we built a bow. Now this was aprox 17yrs ago. The bow I built was a Mach 4R and it had a 108# pull. I set it up with the PSE factory overdraw and shot 24" 2020XX75's out of it at over 330fps. No target butts available in that day would stop it short of mine belt and it drove the inserts in the shaft. I shot at a deer once that was feeding on acorns at aprox 22yrds. The deer was facing left to right barely quartering away. I held just over the RIGHT shoulder/elbow joint in that sweet wedge of shoulder bone and releasedloosed the arrow. Ithit the buck in the LEFT side of the neck just in from of the shoulder at a quartering to me angle. The shot was very lethal but that deer completely swapped sides.
I will admit that bow was very loud despite my best efforts to quiet it but no bow I have ever seen is faster than a spooked deer!

Dave
Old 10-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dryridge

The bow I built was a Mach 4R and it had a 108# pull.

Great holy crap Dave! I guess you have seen the light since then!

A few years ago I had a go at a PSE Big Five set on 100#s..... I didn't risk it... I felt some straining and I let her back down (too many push ups at The Citadel.... my shoulders still pop and crack... I'm doomed).... funny thing is the guy who ordered it (and it set him back a good $1300) could barely draw his bow at 60#s. Super nice guy... but I think that bow was his mid-life marathon/convertable/sky-diving etc etc. A goal so to speak.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Well, a deer can react to the sound and 'duck' but at 300 fps and 325 fps it does become less likely.
At arrow release at 300 fps, sound from the bow would reach a deer at 30 yards in 0.08 seconds. The arrow would reach the deer in 0.3 seconds. This leave 0.22 secs for the deer to react. For 325 fps, the time for a deer to react (again 30 yards) becames 0.20 secs. Not much difference. I believe as a result that the quieter your bow is the better!

The issue I have here with broadhead sound being a real issueis two-fold:

1) First, the bow is stationary giving off a sound and the sound waves move in all directions from the stationary source. This means sound will move quickly to the deer's location (1125 fps to be exact). So in reality,a bow needs to shoot 1126 fps to completely eliminate the possibility of a deer jumping the string.

2) Broadhead noise is very different. There is 0 noise from the broadhead at release. It takes a very short period of time for the head to begin generating a noise. Further the sound waves from the broadhead are initially moving in the opposite direction of the arrow (i.e. toward the shooter). The sound waveswill not move toward the deer until they reflect off another object or move ahead of the speed of the arrow. Now, that won't take long, but it is still well behind any noise generated by the bow. It is my contention (call it a theory) that broadhead noise is effectively meaningless compared to the noise of the bow. I shoot a Bowtech General (arguably one of the quietest bows around) and I shoot GrizzTricks. As quiet as my bow is, it still makes enough sound that will reach the deer long before noise from the arrow.

So in short, any noise from my bow at all is going to reach the deer long before a sound from a broadhead. It will be the bow that causes the deer to react and not the arrow! Just my educated opinion!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

2 years ago I shot Quikspin speedhunters off a 400 axis tipped with a100 grain wasp boss bullet broadhead. I don't what it was about that arrow combo, but it had a viscious whistle to it after I released it. I never heard anything like in 20 years of shooting bows. I hunted with it like that, took 3 deer that year with that setup, all between 25 and 35 yards. None of them even swiveled an ear when I released the arrow.

Like Formula One says, arrow sound is usually behind the arrow. You can prove this to yourself by having someone shoot an arrow past you while standing behind something safe. You'll hear a hiss, that's about it, and by the time it reaches your ears, the arrow is in the target.