HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rage Users - Help please (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/268290-rage-users-help-please.html)

onehornjimmy 10-15-2008 06:58 PM

Rage Users - Help please

I just purchased a pack of Rage 2-blade after reading the rave reviews. I've always used a fixed head up to this point. I understand the Rage heads lock in place with the o-ring. I can feel that them lock into place but they still seem very easy to open...almost too easy. Should I be worried about the blade deploying in air??? I hear of some folks using rubber bands just in case...but I can't find the orthodontic type bands that small.

Matt / PA 10-15-2008 07:02 PM

RE: Rage Users - Help please

Rocket sells them in a small package usually with the replacement blades for their broadheads.

I will be placing a band around the middle of each of mine........I tried the shoulders of the blades and I think the middle might actually be better? It holds the blades and appears that the band cuts and releases the second the blades start to deploy.
Around the shoulders holds them very firmly which i'm not sure I like as much.

I use them just in case I get heavy handed around my quiver or swing one into a branch or something........I don't need to accidentally bump a blade open at the worst possible time.

Young Deer Hunter 10-15-2008 07:17 PM

I have the rage 3 blade, and I know exactly what you mean, and I also wondered that. However a few weeks ago I shot and killed a doe with them and it opened on impact and left a great hole! No worries from me anymore. Good luck.

GMMAT 10-15-2008 07:26 PM

I tried the shoulders of the blades and I think the middle might actually be better? It holds the blades and appears that the band cuts and releases the second the blades start to deploy.
I know we're talking MINUTE amounts, Matt......but I'm wondering what the poundage difference to open the blades is with the bands in the respective places mentioned. I know RJ did a test and that's why he puts them on the "shoulders"......and why I do the same at his urging.

I think they open "easier" without the band (again we're likey splitting hairs)....and I'd think they open easier with the band more towards the front (shoulder).

With the KE we're pushing....it's likely a moot point, though.

I've never had one open in flight .....THAT I KNOW OF. If it did....it didn't affect the performance, one bit.

onehornjimmy 10-15-2008 07:37 PM

Interesting --- as most know, Rocky Mountain BHs is is owned by the same parent company as Rage. Anyway, their Snyper model is the same rear deploying design as the Rage BHs, but they have rubber hands on the "shoulders". Because of this, my assumption would be the shoulders would be the best place for bands on the Rage as well???