Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Advice needed? bad shot? >

Advice needed? bad shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice needed? bad shot?

Old 10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Spike

Default Advice needed? bad shot?

So, I was in my stand and had a buck broadside at 18yrs. This is the first deer Ive seen this year as my season just opened Monday. I settle my pin and thought I made a perfect double lung shot. I walk up to my arrow and no blood on the arrow. After bringing the arrow home, I examined it and it has real thin blood streaks on the vanes (meaty) and hair on the arrow. My only guess is I hit just below the spine and above the lungs. What are the chances this deer is dead? I was shooting 2 blade rage which usually leave a big hole. I'm so pissed right now. I haven't lost a deer and years and I just don't know what went wrong. Either way, I will be back out there in the morning looking for the deer. Any advice or thoughts on the shot? Im am not happy with the arrow. I was happy when I thought I missed clean but now Im just disgusted with myself. thanks guys
Old 10-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Advice needed? bad shot?

ORIGINAL: pmbrac

So, I was in my stand and had a buck broadside at 18yrs. This is the first deer Ive seen this year as my season just opened Monday. I settle my pin and thought I made a perfect double lung shot. I walk up to my arrow and no blood on the arrow. After bringing the arrow home, I examined it and it has real thin blood streaks on the vanes (meaty) and hair on the arrow. My only guess is I hit just below the spine and above the lungs. What are the chances this deer is dead? I was shooting 2 blade rage which usually leave a big hole. I'm so pissed right now. I haven't lost a deer and years and I just don't know what went wrong. Either way, I will be back out there in the morning looking for the deer. Any advice or thoughts on the shot? Im am not happy with the arrow. I was happy when I thought I missed clean but now Im just disgusted with myself. thanks guys
Well what do you think you did, a perfect double lung shot or missed clean. I would for sure look in a couple of hours for blood. Then if you find a trail look at how good the blood is, think about following it further or waiting in the morning
Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Go look for blood or the deer.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Spike

[/quote]
Well what do you think you did, a perfect double lung shot or missed clean. I would for sure look in a couple of hours for blood. Then if you find a trail look at how good the blood is, think about following it further or waiting in the morning
I thought I missed clean as soon as I saw the arrow. I initiallly thought I made a great hit.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

If it was hit I think you should have heard the "thwack" of the arrow. I'd be out there with some lights looking for blood!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Is there blood on the entire arrow or just vanes? Your arrow might have just grazed the deers back. I would go out and look at where he was standing and see if you have any blood in the direction he ran.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending entirely on the angle of the shot and a few other factors, you probably did make a good shot if you honestly feel that everything was right. There are certain places and certain angles where, upon exit, an arrow will almost wipe itself clean. If there was blood on your arrow, then I'd be looking for a blood trail, or some sort of indication of exactly where I hit the animal. You aren't wrong by backing out if you think you made a questionable shot.... but I'd get back out and follow up.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hammerman

If it was hit I think you should have heard the "thwack" of the arrow. I'd be out there with some lights looking for blood!
I agree that you should be out there looking for blood, and also if it didn't make a "THWACK" sound you still may have hit the deer. The doe i shot this year i didnt hear a thwack and the deer didn't notice it was hit, but got spooked because of the noise of my bow and trotted 20 yards away then dropped.

I guess that was a little off topic, but did you even look for blood while you were out there? look for drops of blood on the gound in the direction the deer ran off.

and did the deer "Kick" or anything when you hit it?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

You still have this dog? If you have trouble in the AM..................

"Use some deer blood, or any blood you can get and make blood trails in your yard or woods. As your dog gets better, let the trails sit longer and dry up. At the end of each blood trail, use some sort of treat. I use to hide a piece of liver for my dog at the end of each trail and it was serious motivation for the dog. Eventually, she was a tracking machine. A tracking dog can be an awesome tool for finding deer. We have found deer with my dog that there is no way we would have found on our own. good luck."
Old 10-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My only guess is I hit just below the spine and above the lungs.
You cannot miss the lungs if you hit below the spine unless you are too far forward or too far back (then its liver,kidney or guts.
No empty spaces inside.

Steve

Quick Reply: Advice needed? bad shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.