Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 public land question >

public land question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

public land question

Old 10-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Spike

Default public land question

All right guysI try to be in my tree long before anyone shows up not to be accused of walking in on them or stealing their spot.I've even had guys tell me that was their spot not to hunt there.My opinion is first come.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: public land question

That's how it works. Early in.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last week I walked into the woods after a guy I know did. I then heard it thru the grape vine that I wronged him and ruined his hunt.

uhhh... last time I checked the regulations it never said anything about the state park belonging to any one person.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats why when I hunt public land I look at a map and try to think where "weekend warriors" would not walk, and that is where I go. The extra distance kind of sucks, but it's worth it not seeing others.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

These days you don't have to walk in too far to be in further than most other hunters.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Public land first come first serve.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

If someone is hunting an area(for a length of time), and I know they were there first, I'll stay away even though it is public. I don't want to be accused of "stealing" a spot. But it's a public woods. Go out and hunt it, if you walk up on someone or someone walks up on you, well sorry bout your luck but that's going to happen sooner or later.

During turkey season this spring I met a guy who told me he'd been watching this big tom fora week, and asked if I'd not bother him. Well, one I didn't because where he was hunting was a part of the public forest I'd never been and didn't intend to go, and two, he was just being honest with me and nicely asked not to...soI respected that.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

One tract of public land I hunt you have to sign into an area on the map, this way you know where people are and you don't hunt near them. I still have people come and sit 30yds. from me.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

first come first serve and ive had my fair share of people walk under me or ruin a hunt on public land. normally you should sign in to the area you are gonna hunt but i guess to some people it doesnt matter, if at all possible respect others and their hunt
Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Spike

I was hunting public land this morning and had parked where most would not see my truck (parking area across the street from the entrance). This land is pretty empty during the weekdays - not sure about the weekends, tho. Some guy parked on the street right near the entrance and, since he didn't see any other vehicles there, he thought he was alone. He happened to decide to stroll right past where I was set up (about 6/10 mile in) and as he was passing I said "Good Morning". This guy jumped about 5 feet, brought his hands to his face and screamed like a girl. It was really funny. I wasn't meaning to scare him - just wanted him to know I was there - but dang that was funny.

I had seen three deer in that field this a.m. - they just wouldn't come close enough to say hello. By the time that guy walked by, I was about to pack it in anyway.

Quick Reply: public land question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.