Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses. >

Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Default RE: Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

Ill answer, I belive that there is many more things that will happen post fall with a harnes that will have a greater effect then not wearing 1.
Like the fact that you don't hit the ground from a 15' fall?
1. You fall and your harness slams you into your screw in steps and you get stabbed and left to dangle in the tree,
3. Tree stand fails and your stuck in the tree and you die of dehydration.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of course it's sad, and my heart goes out to his family and friendsbut IMHO this post does little, and should be removed.

What about the scores of hunters who die every year because they are out of shape and hit the hills and die of heart attacks? Should we post about proper physical fitness?

Or to use a broadhead wrench to save thousands of huntersfrom stitches?

Those who will, do! those that don't, don't.

It's a Law to wear safety belts in a car, wanna run the statistics on those poor people who suffer fatal collisions without a belt on? Sad, Yes, but to me it doesn't belong here at least in this graphic detail, thats not why we come here!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ill answer, I belive that there is many more things that will happen post fall with a harnes that will have a greater effect then not wearing 1.
1. You fall and your harness slams you into your screw in steps and you get stabbed and left to dangle in the tree,
Those seem a little ()far-fetched to me, but to each his own I guess.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot #2?

1 - More likely to happen falling without a harness.
3 - Part of wearing one is you understand what to do in case of a fall.
Carry knife to cut yourself loose (many harnesses come with a cutter) once you are stable.
Keep cell phone or radio ON YOUR PERSON so you can call for help
AND
Let someone know exactly where you are hunting, the latest time you will be returning, and what to do if you don't.

Yes - there are things that can happen while wearing a harness - but it is IMPOSSIBLE to make a case for it to be safer without one then wearing it.

Are you comfortable having someone wipe your butt when you are paralyzed and cannot do it yourself?

Steve
Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Yea, id rather take my chances falling the 17' to solid earth. . I hope for your own safety your not serious.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Of course it's sad, and my heart goes out to his family and friendsbut IMHO this post does little, and should be removed.

What about the scores of hunters who die every year because they are out of shape and hit the hills and die of heart attacks? Should we post about proper physical fitness?

It's a Law to wear safety belts in a car, wanna run the statistics on those poor people who suffer fatal collisions without a belt on? Sad, Yes, but to me it doesn't belong here at least in this graphic detail, thats not why we come here!
Dude, it's simply a post to I copied and pasted over from another website to help open some eyes about the damages done after a death, of any type, but in this case a preventable death from a treestand.

I've honestly never in my life heard of a hunter dieing from a heart attack by hiking while out of shape, but if there are scores of them, then YES, post it up....as much as possible. Why turn our backs to preventable accidents in our community instead of helping to try and prevent them?

Death is such a waste of life, and why not try and prevent it when possible? We can marvel at a rage bh kill where a deer is chopped in half with insides hanging out, but a story of a hunter dieing is too graphic? This guy is just sharing his experience of how traumatic having a friend die from a fall truly is.

Seatbelts, well oranges and apples, this isnt a car/driving forums.

Its not to try and force everyone into harnesses....just an eye opener as to what damages are done by your death...not to yourself, but to others. Might help convince a few who are on the fence about harnesses, or only where one half of the time.

Nodog, he hasn't linked to the real story because he wants his friend to remain annonymous at the wishes of the guys mother. I dont even personally know the man, just spreading his story to help get the word out as he wished.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM

There is no way you can justify not wearing a harness.

I will leave it at that, as I do not want to disgrace the seriousness or sadness of this thread. My heart goes out to the victim's family and friends.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Dude, it's simply a post to I copied and pasted over from another website to help open some eyes about the damages done after a death, of any type, but in this case a preventable death from a treestand.

I've honestly never in my life heard of a hunter dieing from a heart attack by hiking while out of shape, but if there are scores of them, then YES, post it up....as much as possible. Why turn our backs to preventable accidents in our community instead of helping to try and prevent them?

Death is such a waste of life, and why not try and prevent it when possible? We can marvel at a rage bh kill where a deer is chopped in half with insides hanging out, but a story of a hunter dieing is too graphic? This guy is just sharing his experience of how traumatic having a friend die from a fall truly is.

Seatbelts, well oranges and apples, this isnt a car/driving forums.

Its not to try and force everyone into harnesses....just an eye opener as to what damages are done by your death...not to yourself, but to others. Might help convince a few who are on the fence about harnesses, or only where one half of the time.

Nodog, he hasn't linked to the real story because he wants his friend to remain annonymous at the wishes of the guys mother. I dont even personally know the man, just spreading his story to help get the word out as he wished.
This thread is beneficial for all, whether one can admit it or not.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:24 PM

Bowtech 360, if your gonna try to back up your position, at least do so in an educated manner. Those are two pretty pathetic examplesofdangers that outweigh the benefits.It is obviousyour fairly young, and I never cared for advice from much of anyonewhen I was younger (still don't sometimes), butwake up man. You get one chance, andspending that chance in a wheel chair or as someone's lost friend isn't exactly the best way to make use of it.

The benefits of asafety harness far outweighany of the excuses I have heard so far. Don't wear it if your so inclined, but.....

You know the rest.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

TEembry said it well, we set here and show off our massive graphic rage 2 blade holes so how is this story graphic?
Yes its an animal and a person being compared, but thats the point.

BTW i do see what your saying and im not trying to bash on your statement to make an argumentbut i believe his thread has more of a message than just do it, or die.
Derek

Quick Reply: Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.