Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses. >

Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Its not to try and force everyone into harnesses....just an eye opener as to what damages are done by your death...not to yourself, but to others. Might help convince a few who are on the fence about harnesses, or only where one half of the time.
You bet It's an eye opener! It Is for me and I can guarantee this that I will have myself a harness before season's end. Like a few others have said (2 Lunger, Tribal) I have a little girl who wants to see her dad In a decent state, not crippled. Thanks guys for opening my eye's more. It will get done In the next few weeks.

Good thread Trevor!!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been meaning to buy one as well, I guess I'll have to spit out the 100$ a little sooner than I thought.

BTW, to the guy who said you would hang there until you dehyrdated, ummmmm no. You're body's internal organs start to die after (15 minutes I believe) of hanging in your harness. And this is simply because you're cutting off nearly all blood circulation to your legs. So you can hang there for a while but after not long at all you're body will begin to shut down and before you know it you will slip into a coma and die. No dehydration to it.

BTW, dehydration...? Seriously..? How long did you plan on hanging there... 3 days..? 4 days...? A week..?
Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just looked this up and it is referred to as "suspension trauma" and while some of my original post is not SPOT on, it is fairly accurate. Here is a link to a good read for all hunters who wear safety vests to realize you can't just hang there forever.
http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0500/d000568/d000568.html
Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I broke down and bought the hunter safety system, at a little over $100 it wasn't easy for me, but it's a lot cheaper than medical bills.

They say you can die from a fall even if you are wearing a harness, so here's my question, are there any reports of any huntersthat actually died from suspension trauma (orthostatic intolerance) with a full body harness? I've heard hundreds of stories of people that passed by falling from a tree stand, but none that involved properly wearing a full body safety harness.

If you're properly wearing a modern full body harness that rated for your weight and and in good condition, I think that seriously reduces your risk of being dead from a fall.

Like they say, "Don't let your next hunt be your last".
Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Fork Horn

After 2 decades of not wearing a harness, and a couple of near misses, I broke down and bought the HSS. I've made a commitment to use it starting at the base of the tree, and it only takes maybe one extra minute of climbing for you to reach your hunting height. Big reason for me doing it was due to these threads, and listening to you guys. ANY reason one can give as to why NOT to wear one just doesn't hold water. If you can't afford the vest type, use the cheapo that comes with the stand. It takes a few minutes to get on, but it can save your butt. The HSS makes draging a deer a breeze also. Another benefit!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Its not to try and force everyone into harnesses....just an eye opener as to what damages are done by your death...not to yourself, but to others. Might help convince a few who are on the fence about harnesses, or only where one half of the time.
You bet It's an eye opener! It Is for me and I can guarantee this that I will have myself a harness before season's end. Like a few others have said (2 Lunger, Tribal) I have a little girl who wants to see her dad In a decent state, not crippled. Thanks guys for opening my eye's more. It will get done In the next few weeks.

Good thread Trevor!!

And same to the others as well!
Steve
Old 10-15-2008, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Nodog - I hope I am misreading your implication.

Go read the thread.

Steve
What would that be? Is it listed there? Will I have to go through AT's huge threads to find it? It's a simple question.

I hope I'm misreading yours. Mine have always been clear, there are way too many people in trees. People should stop talking people into doing it. Learning to hunt in a tree is not good.

Punch this into google and tell me how wearing one isprotection from carelessness.

"man dies from fall wearing a harness"

Not trying to ruffle feathers, or start a raging debate....just wondering.
I asked a simple question for more info. Ya got any? Post it and keep with the thread starters request, or don't and let the question and this post die.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:14 PM

ORIGINAL: nodog

I asked a simple question for more info. Ya got any? Post it and keep with the thread starters request, or don't and let the question and this post die.
I already gave a simple answer.[&:] The thread starters request was to post the story i did, so that people might realize the reality of the danger...does the guys name and personal info really matter? You can PM him on AT if you really have to know, Im not even sure who the poster is, much less the man who fell.

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

Nodog, he hasn't linked to the real story because he wants his friend to remain annonymous at the wishes of the guys mother. She is worried of getting calls and visitors constantly about the story.I dont even personally know the man, just spreading his story to help get the word out as he wished.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nodog - Trevor put the link to the thread in his 1st post here. Describ's the guy finding his friend dead of a broken neck and what he and the family are going thru.
Heart wrenching read and hopefully a wake up for some - as it appears to be.
I apologize if I misread your intent in your question.

Steve
Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have another simple question for those who don't wear a safety harness:

If a fall from the top of the Sear's Tower can kill you just as a fall from 20 feet up can kill you, why would you wear a safety harness when on the side of the building but not on the side of the tree?

Bonus question: Are you deader with one and not the other?

Quick Reply: Simple Question for those who DONT wear harnesses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.