Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8) >

Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rob's Buck on Video

If those 2 holes ya'll have been arguing about are entrance/exit wounds.....where is the dried blood? Did he lick it all off? Maybe. The cut on the neck looks more like a broadhead shave to me. Just something to think about.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:35 AM
Banned

best explanation do far - he might live, but there were stuff cut up in that deer, I have no doubts about it - how MUCh damage no one will know unless they kill the buck and autopsy it

Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Haven't logged on in a while. In case anyone cares here are my opinions on the shot, or lack thereof.

As to the exit wound, definately in the abdominal cavity. No question in my mind that the arrow passed under the vertebral column. The still pictures it is very hard to tell. You can see no topographical landmarks on the deer in the still photos to relate the exit hole with. Also there is alot of angle in the shots, making the hole actually appear higher on the deer's body than it actually is.You get a much clearer picture from theclose up video posted on page 8.In the video you can see bony landmarks to equate the exit hole with.I lableld the picture below with those bony landmarks and some other anatomical things of note.

Two black circles: The top one is the tuber coxae, you can clearly see this in the video, and as you can see in the above picture it lies directly over the spine. Bottom one is the location of the patella in the stifle joint, harder to see but I know where it is on the video.

Red circle: Exit wound 2/3 of the way between the patella and tuber coxae. Well below the spine.

Two red lines: lumbar vetebrae and thoracic vertebrae, notice the height difference. Huge difference. It is much harder to shoot over the spine in the lumbar area than it is in the thoracic area. The whiters, area between the shoulder blades are much higher than that over the back.
Two more pics to illustrate this, the first is a thoracic veterbrae, the second is lumbar, note the height difference.

The angle is irrelevant in the photos. There is only one way for there to be an exit wound wherethis oneappears to be and have not entered the abdominal cavity. That would be from directly straight above the deer pushing down between the skin and body wall. IMO, if the arrow exited at the tuft in the photos and video, dead deer. Cut the rumen, and likely small intestine as well. Gut shot and he'll die.

My other opinion, your cousin missed the deer clean Rob. In the video I can't see any evidence that that is an arrow wound. At three days were that a wound there would be drainge from the wound or at least evidence of drainage. There is none. Appears to be a tuft of hair to me. There is clearly a wound on the neck of the deer but I would say that wound is a minimum of 10 days old by the appearance. You can see the skin is pink. That is either new skin or simply a patch of missing hair.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Dominant Buck

There is only one way for there to be an exit wound wherethis oneappears to be and have not entered the abdominal cavity. That would be from directly straight above the deer pushing down between the skin and body wall. IMO, if the arrow exited at the tuft in the photos and video, dead deer. Cut the rumen, and likely small intestine as well. Gut shot and he'll die.
That was my take, MEZ....and I appreciate you weighing in. Always good to hear from the experts.

The premise was that those WERE the wounds (entrance and exit), and that's what fueled the debate in the thread. If they were the wounds....I was actually hoping I was wrong.

Now....I hope you're right....and they're not wounds, at all.

Again, MEZ.....thanks for your input. Mucho appreciated.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: tschammel

The angle is irelevent from the hitting a branch and it could have hit a rib and deflected it in a different direction!!! JEEEZ!!The buck in my atvar hit mid bodywhen I shot him on the ground andhit arib and angled up into the bottom of the spine and dropped him in his tracks. I was on the ground the arrow angled up. Lets get over the angle. If there is meat on the arrow it went under the spine. It's fat and skin on top of the deer, and if it went over the spine with a three blade there would be some slicing of hide I just see holes.

Like I said before there is a small void under the spine and there is some meat there, backstraps. The guts don't rest on the spine.
I think you nailed it, the arrow went under the Spine, but may not have touched guts, but from the exit wound may also have hit some of the intestines.

There is no way, from the impact point, which is on the far side of the backbone, that this arrow went above it, deer's body simply isn't big enough to have a void above the backbone. Arrow did go beneath the backbone, question really is, did it go above the guts, or clip something. more than likely it also clipped some of the intestines, but not enough to cause him any major suffering. He may survive if infection doesn't set in. Wounds made with razor sharp broad heads heal fast, so he may just have a chance
Old 12-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

It missed the vitals, no doubt Debate Over

Old 12-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cant watch till tomorrow. need high speed access
Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Ok I didn't read over all the posts here. So this may have been answered already. But are we sure this is caused by an arrow going through the deer? I mean it could be a fight wound that just looks that way.

Darrall
Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Germ

Just what am I looking at here and how does it pertain to the deer in question? Nevermind, I think I see it now.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

ORIGINAL: Germ

Just what am I looking at her
e and how does it pertain to the deer in question? Nevermind, I think I see it now.
An ultrasound of a female sasquatch...DUH....come on Rick...lay off of the booze

Quick Reply: Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.