Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8) >

Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Default RE: Rob's Buck on Video

In looking at all the pictures and the video and not being there to see exactly what happened no one can tell for sure. IMO, the arrow does some funky things when deflected. Has anyone ever just clipped the top of your target or had your arrow skim the top of the ground. The broad head pulls the arrow down. It is possible that during the deflection the arrow hit enough of the deer for the broad head to pull the arrow down and around the back of the deer. Also if the deer "ducked" the arrow that would change alot of things. I believe the deer will be ok and that nothing was hit. Also if the arrow hit any kind of bone, that could change the path. How many people have had there rounds from a gun deflected in a deer. So if the path of a bullet can be changed by the deer, Im sure an arrow can also.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

I agree that it is most likely a flesh wound. Too many people are assuming the deer was standing in a natural and balanced stance that put its spineparallel to the ground when the arrow struck.

We know how a deer can duck on a normal shot, but if this one deflected off a branch, giving that deer an additional split second to react, the deer could have been in any kind of a twisted or turned posture when the arrow stuck. Heck, he could have been sideways in mid air or some variation thereof.

Add on top of that the fact that the arrow was flying erratic after a deflection, we have no way of knowing the actual arrow trajectory.

Could the deer die later of infection? All things are possible, but the deer's activities in the video indicate that he is extremely healthy today. Even if he does,it still doesn't necessarily mean that organs were hit. An infection from a flesh wound is possible as well.

I would not have shot the deer.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Okay nimrods (affectionally) here's the close ups for ya'll to debate futher.

CLOSE UP VIDEO SEGMENT.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Okay nimrods (affectionally) here's the close ups for ya'll to debate futher.

CLOSE UP VIDEO SEGMENT.
That deer is standing perfectly broadside, and you can see both entrance and exit..I dont see how it could be possible for this arrow to have reached spine....much less below it. I too think a backstrap wound and a flesh wound out the other side. The entrance is dang near right on top of the buck...this doesn't bode well for a 15-20 yard shot....If I was a betting type guy, I say he lives...but only time will tell.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

There is no doubt in my mind that the arrow went OVER the spine or through the top bones and didn't break the spine nor sever the spinal cord. There is no way in hell that arrow went under the spine like Germ said, 20' up, 15 yards. Had the arrow been under the spine, the exit would have been much lower and that deer would be dead now. I wouldn't have seen him.
I agree

Jeff ... you should be an attorney
Old 10-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man it looks like that buck has been hit a couple of times. Looks like another graze at the bottom of his neck
Old 10-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

That bit of video is nothing short of amazing! He acts like it's just another day in the woods. Very strange. That deer must have 9 lives, looking at all of the wounds he's got.[:@] It appears that arrowtook a non-lethal path. This film reminds me of the Zapruder film, the way it's being analyzedwith all of the differing scenario's.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:11 PM

My two cents is the shot is over the spine. My main reasoning is the elasticity of skin. If those broadheads weren't razor sharp then it could very well have "lifted" the skin before it cut the exit hole, giving a false impression of how low the exit is. Add a weird arrow angle or deflection off a branch (or even the top of the spine itself) and the possibilities are endless. But one thing for sure, he ain't sick yet... That leaves me with flesh wound untill proven different. Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

i think he'll live, looks like it might have just got backstrap, and then the neck shot? if thats what it is? just grazed him, not very deep
Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't believe with just that amount of video you can be certain that he was shot with an arrow. If your just saying hypothetically then OK.

Quick Reply: Rob's Buck on Video (CLOSE UP VID PG 8)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.