Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2 Blade Rage Penetration >

2 Blade Rage Penetration

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2 Blade Rage Penetration

Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM

Default 2 Blade Rage Penetration

Ok, I'm going to get straight to the point on this. I'll give the whole story when i find this deer tomorow. I had a 6 point that came in 20 yards(broadside) away this afternoon.This is my first buck with a bow that i have shot at. I draw back and settle my pin right in the boiler room. I do a quick check to make sure im anchoring and right and go through my mental check list. I finally release the arrow and i watch it fly right behind the shoulder alittle lower than halfway up his shoulder and about 2 inches behind it. The deer jumps up in the air and about does a flip and takes off blazing through the woods. I hear him crashing through the woods but never hear him fall.

Perfect Shot it really couldn't have been better. This is my best shot so far on a deer with a bow( killed 3 with archery equipment). Here is the kicker somehow i din't get a pass through. The shot was perfect and it puzzles me that i didn't? I wait about an hour and get down i follow his continues blood trail and find my arrow broken off. It has Crimson Red blood about half way up the shaft. I follow more blood about fifteen yards from where i find the arrow and then suddenly it just stops. I look around for another hour or so looking for more blood around where i found last blood and i find nothing. What do you guys think about this. I know i made a great shot and i feel like i should have got a pass through but didn't. This is the third deer i have shot this year with no pass through. I used the 2blade rage broadhead last year and did not have this problem. What do you guys think about this? Im seriously thinking about switching to slick tricks after this happening, I'm going to be really upset if i dont find this deer because of that especially being my first buck with a bow.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 2 Blade Rage Penetration

I shot one at 8 yds and it almost ran off with my arrow. I can show you the entrance AND exit, though. I think she snapped it when she took off from the POI (AS it was passing through her). I shot one at 12 yds, Saturday....got a nice entrance and exit wound on her, too. But I found my arrow 10yds from the POI.

I'don't know what to tell you. I'm somewhat baffled, too....but I'm getting close shots...entrance AND exit wounds.........and I know the heads inflict serious carnage. I'm just not getting my arrow sticking in the ground after the shot.

I wish you luck in your recovery.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:21 PM

I really love these heads because your right they do some serious damage. I remember the huge holes it left on the three deer i shot last year with one. When i find the deer tomorow im going to try to find out why i didn't get a pass through and if i believe is the broad head then im going to slick tricks.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Maybe you caught a rib and that sent it into the shoulder or u may have got a partial pass-thru and he snapped it when he took off. Iether way if the broadhead is still in the deer thats serious internal bleeding but not much blood on the ground. Good luck looking tommorow hope you find him!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Didn't you just have another issue with a shot you made a couple days ago?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The doe I shot last year with the Rage broadhead wasn't a pass through. Well, I guess that depends on what your definition of "pass through" is, basically the broadhead went all the way through, but the arrow didn't. It kind of stuck half way through her like a "deer kabob". The arrow didn't fall out for a long time either. It was a perfect shot too, and the blood trail was passible, but not what I expected.

For my set up, Muzzy 4 blade broadheads perform better. I've been thinking of trying the Slick Tricks though.

Anyway, if these are broadheads left over from last year, did you do the "rubber band" sharpness test? Sometimes they get dull over time from going in and out of your quiver, or how you store them. Deer are tough critters, and even with a perfectly good set up you wont always get a pass through.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You dont ALWAYS get a passthrough with any head.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Well, first of all we got a couple possibilities working here. One, and a it's a cardinal rule of bowhunting, "What you think you saw is NOT always so". In my 38 years of bowhunting I have a couple real glaring examples. Bizzare stuff happens. The only way to know for sure is when the deer is recovered.

The second thing, I got to ask... what poundage are you shooting. What is your arrow weight, speed and/or K.E? I ask because I see it so often that people push the envelope while using mechanicals. Someone tells them it's more than enough and they take it as fact which isn't always true. Answer those questions and we'll have a better picture.

Three: Pass throughs, although the norm with todays equipement if properly set up, are not a given.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:37 PM

Yes i did GMAT. No pass through there either... its really starting to make me wonder. I realize i dont get a pass through on every shot but it doesn't make much sense why i didn't get on on this one.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Smokin...."no pass thru there either".....????

Are you kidding me? You wanna re-hash that shot with the rest of us and tell us again why you're switching BH's?

I wish everyone would post their setup, KE, etc... when discussing mechanicals.

Quick Reply: 2 Blade Rage Penetration

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.