HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   You'd think I'd seen a ghost... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/267914-youd-think-id-seen-ghost.html)

GMMAT 10-13-2008 05:49 PM

You'd think I'd seen a ghost...

No...not another blackbelly sheep, either.:D

I know you guys think I have tons and tons of deer, here......but the fact is I saw a grand total of FOUR bucks, last year......in 48 sits. I just saw the first 2.5yr old I've seen in almost 2 years. Pardon me if I get excited!....lol. He was in range.....heavy horned (for a 2.5yr old, here), but he barely had a brow tine on one side....and he just isn't anything I'm looking to take.

I also had a very nice 1.5yr old 6 pointer in range.....but he needs at least one more year. I don't think I'll be able to pass him, next year. He's gonna be a great deer.

Thanks for indulging me.....but I've now seen 4 different bucks so far this year, from stand. You don't always have to kill something to have a GREAT hunt.

Siman08/OH 10-13-2008 05:52 PM

RE: You'd think I'd seen a ghost...

Your on pace with me for seeing bucks Jeff, 4 total with one 2.5 year old. Congrats on the succesfull hunt.

AR Bowhunter 10-13-2008 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT You don't always have to kill something to have a GREAT hunt.
Amen

GR8atta2d 10-13-2008 05:56 PM

I've seen VERY few deer so far in 10 sits! But they've all been great hunts!

Didn't hunt today, had to do yard chores...

We are teachingour eldest to drive on his learner permit..the wife took him out on the back forty at dusk to practice his craft. She called me on her cell. They saw 4 doe and 2 bucks, headed for my stand. Lori said it was wierd..the bucks were like "chasing" the does... :(

GMMAT 10-13-2008 06:01 PM

Good to hear from you Bob.

It's weird......when I seea buck it's kinda surreal....lol. I'm not kidding.

I was staring at them the whole time they were ther ewith my binos.....studying them. It's kinda like seeing a ghost!

When you see as many does as I do.....and then that lone 2.5 yr old comes through.....he looks like a freakin giant. In reality.....he'll probably go 150#'s.

virginiashadow 10-13-2008 06:06 PM

Jeff, believe me I know exactly what you are talking about. I saw a grand total of 3, count em, three bucks the entire season last year. Not sure how many hunts I had, but I would put it somewhere between 25-30.

I've seen two already this year, a spike and a nice looking 5 pointer, both within range. For me, seeing a buck is a grand experience.

hardcorehunter 10-13-2008 06:08 PM

have fun is the main thing..good luck.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-13-2008 09:11 PM

Where's your damn camera this time.;)

If ya don't shoot them, film them. :)

GMMAT 10-13-2008 09:16 PM

Rob I wouldn't have photo'd them anyways. It was close to dark....and I thought the 6-pointer had another deer with him. I really thought I was gonna see a nice one.....but I was wrong. I had my bow in hand waiting for the one behind them.....that never showed.

Point taken, though. It was warm and I didn't take my pack.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-13-2008 09:33 PM

Sounds like your zeroing in. Keep it up.