Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A question for the law enforcement officers. >

A question for the law enforcement officers.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A question for the law enforcement officers.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A question for the law enforcement officers.

My friend calls me earlier this evening and advises me that a new home owner has put a chain across a road that we use to access land we have permission to hunt on.
Two weeks ago he and I met the woman who was walking her dog on the same piece of property that we hunt on.We were getting out of my friends truck.She angrily asked us what we were doing there (on property not owned by her) I was polite but not very happy,I told her that we had permission from the owner and had hunted the property for years.I gave her my name and my friends name.She didn't give us a hard time but was not very pleasant.
These people are weekenders from New York city.Move out to the country and exercise your "rights" on people who have lived here all their lives and have permission to access the property they are blocking.
Nice!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Default RE: A question for the law enforcement officers.

Is it a real road? Or a private drive? Either way, you dont know it was her that put it there.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the road you are using is a " right of way " they cannot keep you off that road. I have a friend that owns 170 aces and someone that owns property behind it has a legal " right of way " so they can get to there land and they can not stop them even tho they own that road. Its just how land is set up when there is no otheraccess. I am no officer I just know this as a fact from my friend who is in that situation.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You need to find out what type of road it is. Who maintains it I would think the township would know try and call them. Who owns the land on both sides of the road?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

All you need to know is whether or not the landowner (where you hunt) has an easement along that drive to get to his property. If so, they cannot deny access, but you need to let it be settled between the landowners.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a legal right of way.Our friend the property owner has a deeded legal right of way.Three properties share the drive way which is privately maintained.The new home owners home is the last property in succession.The chain was put up after the first property but before the second and third.The dirt road into where we park allows us to access a very large piece of our friends privately owned property.
Bowtech 360,I have absolutely no doubt who put that chain up.No one else would have any reason to.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:26 PM

The laws vary from state to state. In Ohio that is going to be a civil issue. We as law enforcement officers cannot make someone take down a chain unless it is ordered by a court. The best thing to do is talk to the landowner whos land you hunt. Have him speak to the other landowners and see if they can come to some agreement between them.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

State law here says that if you have ties to or property that the only reasonable access isblocked then you have the rights to gain access to that property but it may take the court system to do so.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:00 PM

If it is a legal right of way or a paper road they cannot block it. If they do call the fire marshal he will put an end to that because it is a saftey issue. I had that problem years ago easily fixable.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:21 PM

That sucks, how far of a walk is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.