Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 % of hunters not using a harness >

% of hunters not using a harness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

% of hunters not using a harness

Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: % of hunters not using a harness

One of the other guys raised the question on making it illegal to hunt without one.

I simply don't wear one because I don't want to. That should be enough of a reason, but since I am sure it is not I guess its just in the way I was raised. I can climb a tree like a squirrel. Spent most of my young life up one. When someone at the lease wants to hang a new tree stand we will normally go out and scout for a tree. When they find one they think might work (remember they are mainly live oaks so nothing is straight) I climb the tree and check it out, if it looks good they throw me a rope and I pull the stand up and put it on the tree. I then get in the stand and if it sits good then I climb down and they then put the steps in the tree. I guess I am just comfortable in the foliage.

Granted I don't want to fall out and die, but if I do my family would be well taken care of. Now I think they would mourn my loss but life would go on.

-john
Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM

So, do you not wear because your free to not wear it or have you decided the negatives to wearing it far outweigh the positives. Does the lifestyle you listed somehow miraculously prevent you from breaking your neck when you fall?

As far as drinking, smoking, overweight, etc. I'm none of those.

As far as family, middle age, fairly decent shape, college degree, etc. I can relate.

But, I wear the harness. And don't really know what any of those have to do with it.

Your right though, its your choice and I respect that. I'm sure my short post came off stronger than necessary.But, I'll go ahead and add thatthis is my plea for you to start wearing one.The cost is minimal andyou can quickly getused to wearing it. I see nothing but positives to wearing one.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Just to make sure everyone understand I'm not mad or pissed at anyone. You want to wear one...ok. I'm great with that. I just choice not to.

-john
Old 10-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

TEmbry

I have asked the question of probably doz's on several forums the last few weeks.
Not a single one has answered.
The good thing is I believe these threads are getting great exposure and many are seeing the common sense of taking easy saftey measures.

Those who don't - I wonder how they will feel depending on someone to wipe their butt for them.

Steve
Old 10-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

Those who don't - I wonder how they will feel depending on someone to wipe their butt for them.

Steve
They are far to selfish to care.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 PM

HAHA, wow, you just need to know how to make the landing soft. I think the dangers of wearing 1 outweigh the chances of not wearing 1.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Steve no one needs to wipe my butt, although you probably want to...

Bawanajim I have been accused of several thing, being selfish is not really one of them.

As I get older I have often wondered why we keep losing our rights in this country. It has never made any sense to me how people allow that to happen. After reading these responses I see the mentality that allows it to occur. Just because I don't agree with ya'll on my need to wear a harness does not make me wrong. Just because you want to wear one does not make you wrong. Its a personal choice. In this country that should be enough, at least until as citizens we screw this thing up.

-john
Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TX_Hoghunter

Just because you want to wear one does not make you wrong. Its a personal choice. In this country that should be enough, at least until as citizens we screw this thing up.

-john
I don't necessarily disagree with you but do you wonder why all cars now have airbags? Back when wearing a seatbelt was a personal choice some folks chose not to wear one. Then they were involved in an accident that left them with huge medical bills and the need for ongoing medical care ( a butt wiper perhaps LOL ). So, what did they do? They sued the car companies for not having airbags installed! They made a concious choice not to wear their seatbeltbut now it was the car company's fault for not protecting them despite their concious choice not to protect themselves! Do you wonder why there are seatbelt laws now? The government and the car companies got tired of picking up the tab because people made poor choices . So, when you make a choice to pay more for your car (airbags aint cheap) and you make a choice to obey the seatbelt laws remember, it is because others made poor choices that now affect you.

If people want to make a concious choice not to use available safety features/measures I am all for it. But I am also all for them having to provide for their own medical care if their choice results in a debilitating injury. Don't wear a harness, more power to you, but you shouldn't be able to then take advantage of my tax dollars to supplement your medical care. If we can agree on that then you won't se me arguing for you to "lose your right" to make choices that can adversely affect your health and my tax dollars.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I don't disagree with what you posted. I have never sued anyone and don't plan on it. I have also had medical insurance my entire life. I would not be cought dead without it...LOL. The problem you mentioned above are interesting but pointed in the wrong direction. The problem is the with the court system and the citizens that are sitting on the juries.

-john
Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 AM
Typical Buck

Don't wear a harness, more power to you, but you shouldn't be able to then take advantage of my tax dollars to supplement your medical care. If we can agree on that then you won't se me arguing for you to "lose your right" to make choices that can adversely affect your health and my tax dollars.
Wow, well said brucelanthier! I think this discussion goes beyond who's right and who's wrong. Those who seem surprised that Hoghunter is so adamantly opposed to simply wearing a safety harness are really just concerned for his safety, and the welfare of his family!! To me, that's what it boils down too IMHO. If we hunters didn't care aboutour fellow hunter and his loved ones, this thread would have been on Page 4 by now. For those of us who have made the commitment to ouselves and our families to do what we can to try and keep ourselves safer, it's difficult to understand why others won't make the same commitment.

I will add that using statements like "I can climb a tree like a squirrel" does nothing to prove to me that you will never fall from a tree. That's just nonsense! There are way too many "other" factors that can contribute to your falling, than just your biased opinion that you can climb like a squirrel.

I wish you continued safety in the woods Hoghunter. One of these days I'll tell you all about the day that I saw a squirrel fall from a tree. When hegot up, he had todrag his hind legs (broke back) to the nearest treeand try to climb it with only his front legs. Kind of sad!

Quick Reply: % of hunters not using a harness

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.