Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Muleys?? Ever try it? >

Bowhunting Muleys?? Ever try it?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Muleys?? Ever try it?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Spike

Default Bowhunting Muleys?? Ever try it?

Well this is my year, atleast I hope so. Over thanksgiving I am headed out to western Kansas to chase after a mule deer. From what I hear its one of the greatest challenges bowhunting presents, and only know of two people from out there being successful at it. One being my uncle, but he's in Montana now. What suggestions would you guys have to give me? I talked to my Grandpa the other day, and he told me they are most likely goping to be in Milo Harvest which will help out a ton giving me a few extra eyes spotting deer for me. I also know the general area alot of deer hang around, working out there all summer I was able to see few of nice mature 4x4's and still had a few inches of bone to grow. I know the bowhunting forum gets alot of attention by whitetail hunters, but I know even you guys got some tips for me. I just wanna go at with the most knowledge possible.
Also Ive been practicing alot at 50-60 yards and have been shooting around a 5-6inch pattern with a stray arrow here and there a couple inches off, the farthest Ive shot any deer was 30yards so would you guys think it would be unreasonable to shoot at one if he was say 50yards? If I have the chance that is?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowhunting Muleys?? Ever try it?

It is very difficult. I had many mule deer within bow range this year but none of them had antlers on their head. Good luck it is fun but hunting Kansas may be different than hunting the high country. You hunting them from a treestand or spot and stalk?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

No 50 yards is not unreasonable given you are actually 100% confident and comfortable with it. Mule deer are truly not as smart as whitetails, however their vision and ability to spot you at extreme distances is amazing. The preferred method for hunting them, at least where I have hunted them (CO and MT) is to glass them until they bed down and then come up with a plan to stalk them in their beds. I am no expert though, and really have only hunted them as "incidental game" while on elk hunts.

Hunting them in their rut is foreign to me, but I bet it will be a total blast! Good luck and I hope you take a total monster!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love it!!!! biggest thing I see people is people don't give the wind enough credit. If you do take a 50yd shot, really make sure you know which way the wind is blowing! Good luck!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Spike

Thanks guys, the wind sure does blow alot out there. Do Mule deer have as keen sense of smell as Whitetail? I like to prevent scent as much as I can, but it may be tougher out there staying with my buddy. Do you guys know when key movements happen? The ground is mostly flat as far as you can see out there, so the highest vantage point would probably be on the roof of my blazer. Id just like to spot them on the move without Driving from spot to spot try to find them.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The tip that I will share is to not to rush the stalk. Too many hunters think that if they don't hurry in on the bedded deer, the deer will leave before they get there, and that leads to mistakes before you even get in range for a shot. When you start a stalk, you need to get the mind set that there's no hurry, stay calm, and move no faster than the situation allows.

Just like whitetails, mornings and evenings are the main active period. Spot them in the morning, watch them bed, plan a stalk, keep the wind and the terrainin your favor, and don't rush it. It's better to back off if things aren't in your favor, than to rush it and blow it. It's easier to keep track of the deer if they don't feel pressured. You spook them a time or two, and finding them again only gets harder.

Good luck.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

I tried it a few years ago while stationed at Camp Pendleton in CA. Saw a nice 3x3on top of a hill and decided to sneak arounf the other side and ambush him. Little did I know that the "other side" was a steep faced edge of rocks. Got to the top of the hill and did not see the buck, then he stood up from behind some Manzanita bushes at less than 30yds broadside!! Then my father who was hunting with me came up the hill, he did not know the deer was there, and the buck took off. [:@]Was Very exciting, I almost got to shoot one.
I would do it again in a heartbeat if given the chance.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

Keep a very close eye out for other deer that will bust you on your way to the deer you want.