Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 deer blowing at you >

deer blowing at you

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer blowing at you

Old 10-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default deer blowing at you

went out yesterday to a small field where i have been seeing does come out at late afternoon. just when i think i know where they will be they come out a different trail.they started coming out the far end of the field where there is alot of scrub bushes, no good trees to put a stand on. I decided to try something different, I would go it on the ground just camo hidden in the natural ground cover. They came out at dusk right on time but they where a little farther away than i planned.They started feeding and slowly walking away from me . So i decided to see if i could stalk closer putting this clump of bushes and trees between me and the deer and Iwould be able to get to 35 yards from the deer. when they had there heads down i made my move but one of them spotted me and got nervous. at first they just stared at me trying to figure out what i was camoed out in Ultimate camo. then one of them trotted back into the tree line while the other just stared at me. then the one in the woods began blowing. Once they start doing that is there anything you can do to change the situation or is the game over ?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:16 AM

Default RE: deer blowing at you

I would say game over. After they start blowing, I have never had a deer stick around. Give it a rest and try that spot again.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope youre done for. Might as well pack it up, unless youre in a stand then its not so bad.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

yep...once your busted, that sound travels a good ways...unless they are being pushed right to you, id say the gig is up for a little while atleast....if your hunting mature bucks, you may need a new setup all together from my expirience....

ive also read, not sure if its true, that when a deer blows it emits some kinda chemical that stays in the area for a couple days that alerts other deer....not sure if its true or where i read it....

when they blow, they usually got ya nailed...ive seen many deer and noticed that blowing is usually a last resort...head bobbing, stomping, tail flagging and trotting off etc are usually lesser degrees of noticement...

verrrrry rarely can i get a deer that blows to stick around...when i do its usually a younger deer...i usually blow right back at them by cupping my hands around my mouth so it gets that hollow type of sound...bowhunting its useless...gun hunting, it could buy me time for a shot...
Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya I'd have to say deal done as well..
I got blowed this weekend.. Wind was the direction I wanted it to be but some deer circled back behind me. I talkin like 150-200 yds back, they could have never seen me but they started blowing at a distance.. I just got down and left that stand, it was hot anyway..
Old 10-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on how much light you have left. I have heard deer blow for 5 mintues straight about 200 yards away (not at me). Deer blow because they can't figure something out and they are putting out a warning. However deer also will blow for no apparent reason. I have seen it many of times in the field. I have had 3 does in the field and they were walking and eatin beans and just blowing not acting spooked at all. Two years ago, I got busted by a super blower doe in a small alfalfa field. I thought I was screwed for the evening but instead I started rattling and snort wheezing directly after she busted me. 15-20 minutes later, i had 7 bucks in the field and they all started sparring.. just my 2 cents
Old 10-13-2008, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Ive blown back and they stand there with a confused look on their face and stomp...I matched blow for blow with them....she finally settled down and started eating beans again...I wasnt hunting, rather just taking a walk one day and stumbled on 2 does with fawns...It doesnt always work, but it did then.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

I got blown just this morning by a big ol nanny. She had 2 other does with here and a yearling. She blew and stomped but then just stood there and all the other deer didnt even pay mind to her. They turned around after about 5 minutes and walked back the way they came. I think she smelt the trail i walked to my seat on but she wasnt really spooked no flags or nothing just walked away.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

i think it depends on how far they run after they blow(lol). if they dont go far, move your location and wait, they might come back to see what you were. i had this exact thing happen to me this past sat.

a buddy of mine has aset up on a trail and hasseen deer come out of the same spot each time he has sat there. so i decided to go there for an evening hunt, 645 rolls around and im packing up to leave. all the sudden i hear a stick break, she spots me does the foot stomp 5 times turns snorts, runs about 60 yards. comes back 10min. later. it was to dark to shoot.

anytime ive ever spookeda (doe) shehas came back. anytime a deer blows, blow back. imo!!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:00 PM

It all just depends IMO.

Ususally when a deer blows because of something that is my own fault, (saw me move, got winded, etc.) they are gone for that hunt.

But I have seen deer blow because of other reasons and still stay around. Like when a yote or bobcat comes around them. Or sometimes I have seen them blow at each other. I don't think they run away for good from those things because they are not running from an "unknown fear", which is what we are.

Quick Reply: deer blowing at you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.