HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   is it too late? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/267759-too-late.html)

Lightsout 10-12-2008 08:57 PM

is it too late?

is it too late to cut down a few trees where i hunt? will it affect the deer movement in the area, will it push them out of the area?

Hoytail Hunter 10-12-2008 09:23 PM

RE: is it too late?

You want to cut down a few trees? as in whole trees?

I think anytime there is any unnatural noise in the woods it will drive deer away at least for a while.

demoIL 10-12-2008 09:42 PM

Well it might push them out for a bit but they will be back. Especially since the pre rut is looming right around the corner..

I know everyone tries to be quiet as possible but I hung a new tree stand today for November (last min. decision?).. Well anyway, I try to make some noise so the deer don't come in and spook when they see me hanging 20ft. off the side of a tree.. lol Farm noises are the norm around me though so I suspect after a few days they will be back just fine.
Deer are very skiddish though, probably depends on what they are used to.

Only way I would be quiet as possible is if you knew when that deer was in the area. Go in when you know he's not there and make it a quick and quiet trip. No matter if it's during mid day or mid night..

As far as trees go.. I dont think it will matter too much as long as your not clearing the forest. I few young trees that are in your shooting lane will probably not matter much. Deer (in my area anyway) are used to seeing things move around, trees fall and just naturally branches, walnuts etc falling constantly..

So in my humble opinion.. Cut away but do it soon and leave it go for a couple weeks before returning. I have heard of it screwing with deer patterns but I'm just speaking in general. And like I mentioned once the chasing begins it won't matter at all..

bigtim6656 10-13-2008 03:20 AM

when i was in ky The land owner had said there was a small pond on the back north side. I found it. It was overgrown alot we cut alot of the brush out and burnt some stuff aswell. By the time we got done unless it was not 6 inchs thick it went and some of those went aswell. We did this is sept oct. Back then i was a gun hunter so had little use for oct. We had deer comeing in the night between the time we worked. And i am talking chain saw weed eaters. Som deisel for burning. Heck we need up burning most of the underbrush on 90% of the properpty. And maybe a few feet on the other side of the line :):):):).
They seems to like being able to move better. I intend to hang a stand of the pond. But we moved the next summer errrrrrrr right after i got my bow to