HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Stupid Question of the Day: Why Are Hunting Arrows Shorter Than Target Arrows? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/267715-stupid-question-day-why-hunting-arrows-shorter-than-target-arrows.html)

Octopus 10-12-2008 05:24 PM

Stupid Question of the Day: Why Are Hunting Arrows Shorter Than Target Arrows?

It seems that the arrows I bought at Walmart are target arrows not hunting arrows. They are longer than my other arrows. How come hunting arrows are longer than target arrows? What's the difference? How does the shorter length help when hunting?

Yes, stupid questions but I didn't notice the size difference until I shot both kinds today. I went to put them all into my quiver and I'm like "WTF...these are shorter than the other ones!"

:)

GMMAT 10-12-2008 05:27 PM

RE: Stupid Question of the Day: Why Are Hunting Arrows Shorter Than Target Arrows?

As far as I know....they're not. Mine aren't.

Finch 10-12-2008 05:32 PM

RE: Stupid Question of the Day: Why Are Hunting Arrows Shorter Than Target Arrows?

ORIGINAL: Octopus

It seems that the arrows I bought at Walmart are target arrows not hunting arrows. They are longer than my other arrows. How come hunting arrows are longer than target arrows? What's the difference? How does the shorter length help when hunting?

Yes, stupid questions but I didn't notice the size difference until I shot both kinds today. I went to put them all into my quiver and I'm like "WTF...these are shorter than the other ones!"

So which is it? Longer or shorter?[8D]

Anyway, I thought Walmart just sold all their arrows at the same length which is the maximum length a shaft can be. Is this not the case?

Octopus 10-12-2008 05:34 PM

Well this is weird because these arrows are definitely shorter.

Here is the hunting arrow:
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/product/10

Here is one of the target arrows:
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/product/34

The target one is definitely longer. Hmmm...

crenth 10-12-2008 05:34 PM

I think they just sell a certain length. Whenever I had my bow set up, the archery shop cut the arrows to fit your draw length and rest (probably like everyone else).

Octopus 10-12-2008 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Finch

So which is it? Longer or shorter?[8D]

Anyway, I thought Walmart just sold all their arrows at the same length which is the maximum length a shaft can be. Is this not the case?
The target ones are longer and the hunting one is shorter. Sorry I didn't clarify.

virginiashadow 10-12-2008 05:37 PM

Octopus, your target arrows and hunting arrows should be the same length. Head down to an archery shop and have them measure your draw length so that they can cut your arrows to fit you.

Octopus 10-12-2008 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: crenth

I think they just sell a certain length. Whenever I had my bow set up, the archery shop cut the arrows to fit your draw length and rest (probably like everyone else).
Oh okay. I got the hunting arrows from the archery shop. So that makes sense. I guess it really doesn't matter too much though as I was able to shoot both kinds pretty well.

So I guess I will have to buy my arrows someplace besides Walmart though since those are probably not the right length for my bow or whatever. I was not aware that multiple sizes were available.

Octopus 10-12-2008 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Octopus, your target arrows and hunting arrows should be the same length. Head down to an archery shop and have them measure your draw length so that they can cut your arrows to fit you.
Yes, I see that I need to measure the original hunting arrows. I had gone to walmart to buy cheaper arrows but it did not occur to me that the arrows I had bought at the archery shop were of a particular size. I will make sure I buy the proper arrows next time. I was not aware that draw length was so important. I did manage to shoot the longer arrows just fine though.

Finch 10-12-2008 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: crenth

Oh okay. I got the hunting arrows from the archery shop. So that makes sense. I guess it really doesn't matter too much though as I was able to shoot both kinds pretty well.

So I guess I will have to buy my arrows someplace besides Walmart though since those are probably not the right length for my bow or whatever. I was not aware that multiple sizes were available.
You got it. Wal-mart sells an "one size fits all" arrow from my observations. Buying an arrow from wal-mart where the arrow is at its longest may put you on the weak side for your setup. Always get arrows matched to your setup.

I will make sure I buy the proper arrows next time.
You can still get these arrows cut down to the right size. Just make sure they are the correct spine for your setup.