Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Someone setup right next to my tree stand >

Someone setup right next to my tree stand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Someone setup right next to my tree stand

Old 10-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Someone setup right next to my tree stand

I put my tree stand up back in August and started with a salt block and camera to scout the area. It is a large area of state land. I had some decent bucks coming in until the middle of September then they seemed to vanish. I was hunting this stand a few days ago when I see an orange hat coming through the woods.

Turns out it is a guy with a bucket of bait. I ask him if he intends to hunt right next to me and then I notice that he has a tree stand thirty yards from me. After a short arguement he ends up leaving without dumping his bait. I figure that if I give him a few days he will take his stand down.

That night I check my game camera and there is a picture of the guy looking up at my tree stand. He knows it is there and set up thirty yards from me anyway. I'm steaming mad. [:@]I went back to hunt yesterday and his stand is still there with some fresh bait on the ground. Luckily he did not show up while I was hunting.

I have left a note on this guys vehicle asking him to please call me about his stand but he never did. I have no intention of moving but i'm hesitant to hunt because if he shows up again it will be a waste of time. It amazes me that there are people out there like this.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:11 AM

Default RE: Someone setup right next to my tree stand

that was you? sorry bud ill take it down ASAP.

jk[8D]

but seriously thats part of hunting on public land and it sucks[&:]
Old 10-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

the key is it is public land . in my state you can't put up a permanent stand and claim an area. he has the right to hunt where ever he wants on public land . he could have used your stand then all hell would brake loose. ethical he should have moved on to a different spot but legally he is not breaking the law . you gave him the opportunity to talk but choose not to so i would either hunt it without any more contact or move t a different spot
Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd say that spot is pretty much shot anyway with all the people going in and out. I'd move. I generally don't hunt a spot more than once or twice. Illegal to put up stands and leave them on public ground here too. Illegal to use anything that will damage trees too. Illegal to bait here too, especially frowned on on public lands. I guess it's legal in Michigan?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, that sucks you have to deal with somebody who has no consideration. I wouldn't waste my precious hunting time on principles here. Find another spot and get on with your season. If this were private landit would be a totally different situation, but it being public land you have to change the way you are thinking about it. Don't take it personal.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

I would find a new area and not waste anymore time in that area. It could have been alot worse, you could havecame back and discovered your stand and camera had disappeared.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:54 AM

welcome to my world. I don't know where you are hunting, but I hunt in New Jersey and they are the worst here. For the past 5 years I have been dealing with people setting up with in eye sight of me and then I had a guy lease the property I was hunting so he set up in my tree. Then today I went to see if I could narrow my distance to a buck I have been seeing and I find a new stand appeared on the neighboring property line. Not sure who he is but he is only 10 ft of the ground and in the wide open. His scent is going to blow directly in the deers direction and I am now going to be screwed.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Well hate to say this but on public land, nobody can stake their claim by putting up a tree stand. If somebody gets up early enough and beats you to the spot, you lose. Now I don't think they can use your tree stand, but they can certainly stand right next to your stand, if they get there first.

Sorry man but that is what public land is. Maybe your state has different rules/laws regarding stand usage etc.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

That is the problem with public land. I had a similar experience during the PA Gun Season. I was actually all done setting my stand, in orange mind you, and as I am in the stand and my friend on the ground here comes this guy and his kid. About 60 yards down the hill he looks up at me, turns and starts clearing leaves around a tree and places his chair. Now this was two days before the season. So I whistle, no response. I yell to him, again no response. I then yell, "There is 2000 acres of public ground, would you mind giving me some room ?"...again no response. Since then, I started leasing which I have done for 11 years up until now, which I finally have my own place to call home.

It's a terrible thing, but to me, its about enjoying the time outdoors, safety and knowing where everyone is.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry to hear that man, hope it all gets worked out.

Quick Reply: Someone setup right next to my tree stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.