HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I ran out of daylight!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/267610-i-ran-out-daylight.html)

jmbuckhunter 10-11-2008 08:40 PM

I ran out of daylight!!!

I was sitting in my stand overloking a food plot and saw 2 does come out of the woods across the field. They start to make their way over to my plot. Then I see another deer enter the field. IT"S A GOOD BUCK!! But he doesn't follow the does right away. Instead he works over 3 scrapes and licking branches before heading my way. OH and it is starting to get dark. He is taking his good old time, nibbling here and there. By the time he makes it to the plot, there isn't much light left. He is at 40 yards broadside eating. I come to full draw but can't see my pins. I let down and turn on my pin light. I draw again but this time the light is too bright and I can't see the deer. He continues to feed coming to within 20 yards of me as it gets really dark. All I can do is watch him thru my binocs.

As he feeds away he walks right past my trail camera and I see the LED's glow. I watched him get his picture taken. So I waited until I couldn't hear him anymore and got down and retrieved the card from my camera.

Here is what could have been. You will note I walked in front of the camera 10 minutes after it took his pics. I'll have to check it out but I think I am in the tree just to the left of his antler when he is looking at the camera.

mudchicken1012 10-11-2008 08:55 PM

RE: I ran out of daylight!!!

that is awsome gl on him
i wouldset up a stand 15 yards off where he came out. by the scrapes

jemrami9 10-11-2008 09:13 PM

Wow! Not much you can do about that tonight. Nice deer obviously!

Schultzy 10-11-2008 09:18 PM

Damn jm!!!!! That Is a brute!!!! So close, man that bites!!

Rory/MO 10-11-2008 09:21 PM

Damn! That's a pig!
Good luck with that buck!

SuperRedHawk 10-11-2008 10:58 PM

Pins, shmins, I would have let one fly :).
OUCH, that's one hell of a deer. I think you got him pegged though!

SouthDakotaHunter 10-11-2008 11:18 PM

So close..... Good luck on him, great looking deer!!

MN/Kyle 10-11-2008 11:31 PM

That is awesome, yet heartbreaking, lol.

Are you going after HIM now? Or, is there other fish in the sea?

RattleSnake1 10-12-2008 12:59 AM

Wow...that is a dandy buck there jm....good luck on him but I'm sure it was rush having him there anyway.

Huntinman23 10-12-2008 01:09 AM

well you didnt spook him so hopefully he will be back youll get another chance when rut kicks in and he is chasing and all drugged up :D
[align=left] [/align]

GMMAT 10-12-2008 02:11 AM

Do what you want.....but I'd take the camera down.....just in case. There's nothing it can tell you now....that you don't already know.

Good luck, jm. You're SO close.:)

Finch 10-12-2008 05:28 AM

Tough break man! At least you know he is around though. Good luck with him.

Hunterbrum 10-12-2008 05:54 AM

Great looking buck. Good luck getting him later. Be sure to show us the pics.

tsoc 10-12-2008 06:00 AM

Good luck John! That's a dandy 10 pointer.

fatsbucknut 10-12-2008 06:08 AM

He's an absolute monster! Good luck

NY Bowhunter 10-12-2008 06:32 AM

How to notforce the shot. Nice looking buck you got on your hands there. Good luck with him.

PreacherTony 10-12-2008 06:40 AM

That woulda killed me .. but you will get him Jon ....awesome pics!!!!

Ben / PA 10-12-2008 07:56 AM

That takes some real control. He will slip up. Stay on him or move to an earlier stop on his route.

jmbuckhunter 10-12-2008 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: SuperRedHawk

I HOPE YOU ARE KIDDING!!

No way did I want to risk wounding that buck or any deer for that matter. Not finding him would have killed me. Or even worse, finding a pile of bones shed hunting in the spring.

Please only take shots when you are sure you can make them. Nothing is for sure when shooting at a deer. But never take shots that have a better than average chance of failure.

Huntinman23 10-12-2008 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I HOPE YOU ARE KIDDING!!

No way did I want to risk wounding that buck or any deer for that matter. Not finding him would have killed me. Or even worse, finding a pile of bones shed hunting in the spring.

Please only take shots when you are sure you can make them. Nothing is for sure when shooting at a deer. But never take shots that have a better than average chance of failure.
X2

jim1966 10-12-2008 11:59 AM

Thats hunting. Looks like you were moving faster than the deer. You look like a blur. Good luck getting him.

AR Bowhunter 10-12-2008 12:17 PM

Sounds like my luck!

jmbuckhunter 10-12-2008 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mudchicken1012

that is awsome gl on him
i wouldset up a stand 15 yards off where he came out. by the scrapes
Wind permitting I plan on being back in the woods a bit from where they came out. I think they might be bedding in the creek bottom where it is cooler during the day.

SuperRedHawk 10-12-2008 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Huntinman23

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I HOPE YOU ARE KIDDING!!

X2

I can't believe I have to actually say "just kidding" with that comment.
It was joke guys, hence the smiley. Lighten up!

jmbuckhunter 10-12-2008 07:48 PM

OK your forgiven. Just didn't want to send out the wrong ideas about flinging arrows in the dark.

hatchet jack 10-12-2008 07:52 PM

Nice! Deer! Good Luck with him!!

Hatchet Jack

StruttinGobbler3 10-12-2008 07:58 PM

thats why i love my black gold sight! long after i can't even see my peep the pins are still glowing clearly, and the best part is they don't get so bright that they block out the target

John Deer 10-13-2008 09:53 AM

Dang!! Five minutes earlier and you'd have stuck him. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before you'll get your opportunity. Good luck buddy.