Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So Upset with myselft... >

So Upset with myselft...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So Upset with myselft...

Old 10-11-2008, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: So Upset with myselft...

Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you hit 4 inches down you shoukld have caught the offside lung, although I may be mistaken. Hopefully you will find a broken piece of arrow laying on the ground. That will tell you alot. Best of luck bud, hope to hear you find her....

Shane
Old 10-11-2008, 08:57 AM

I just got back from looking for her.. I found my arrow not to far from where i shot her at and there were big chunks of meat on it. We found absolutely ZERO blood so we started to do a grid search. My grandpa which is probably one of the best trackers i know couldn't find a trail and neither could I. All i had to go on was the direction the deer went. I just watched that video and that shot looks EXACTLY like mine. Im positive i got a Tenderloin shot with the amount of meat on the arrow. I think what happened was the arrow glanced off one of the spinal vertabrae and caused the arrow to come out high on the other side. The blood on the arrow was muscle blood also. I really appreciate all the support i got on here. It really makes me feel better about the situation. I'm Hoping i get another shot at this deer so i can put an arrow where it SHOULD go. Once again Thank you
Old 10-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

My conclusion wasbackstraps on my deer as well, hopefully they both survived.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:06 AM

I got almost the exact same amount of penetration as you did. Yes, Thats what im guessing too.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't think the tenderloins come into play here.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I only show this as evidence these shots can happen.....and mine was VERY similar to yours (height in tree and shot distance). This doe was shot by me on a Mon. or Tues. evening.....and I found her in the pasture fence over a week later (I hunted this same tree.....or one 10 yds from it, the previous evening and she wasn't in the fence. The landowner repaired the fence a couple days before.....replacing the top strand that was broken when my stand was stolen, there).

She looks as though she's the one that I hit the week before......right through the backstrap. The shot was a pass-thru with a muzzy 3 blade 125gr.....shot from a Bowtech Allegiance at 66#'s. The arrow looked like it had passed through a pink bar of soap.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guarantee there Is blood some where. They usually bleed very well for a short period of time (flesh wound) when hit where you explained.

At least you gave good effort In trying to find your deer. She'll live If that's where It was hit.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Just an FYI. There is a bunch of bone (the spinous processes) and gristle above the spinal cord. ('specially near thewithers) This is why arrows hitting here rarely blow through.

It's a meat hit.

Usually an arrow hitting here will have more fat and meat on it than blood. Blood sign is usually sparse at best. If there is a blood trail it usually quits after about 200 yards.

Waiting was the right thing to do. But the deer is likely still running around.