Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So Upset with myselft... >

So Upset with myselft...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So Upset with myselft...

Old 10-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Default RE: So Upset with myselft...

Ya thats what i was thinking because i shot my 3d target alot from that same height and i wanted to see just how high i could get that would kill a deer. I experienced exactly what your talking about. When the deer was running away it just seemed like the arrow was sticking out the other side kinda high.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is not much above the spine except air little bit of skin and hair. I do believe if you hit above the spine you would have a pass through for sure, nothing there really. But if its a high lung hit you should be able to find that deer. She will run for a ways not bleeding until the chest cavity fills with blood. Just get out there the first thing in the morning and find her.Take a friend or some family to help you.
Good luck
Greg
Old 10-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Dominant Buck

There is not much above the spine except air little bit of skin and hair. I do believe if you hit above the spine you would have a pass through for sure, nothing there really.
Where do backstraps come from?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not saying you hit above the spine, but I will have to disagree with gregrn43, I would think it's more dense there with the hide and backstraps as Jeff mentioned, rather than air filled lungs... However the ribs can put a stop to an arrow, as I mentioned it happened to me just Monday.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck finding her. As already stated, take a friend with you if possible. It will make it easier.
Chris
Old 10-11-2008, 06:06 AM

Good luck this morning man! Please let us know the outcome.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Hi,

As the other poster(s) mentioned, if you hit the deer high, and the arrow is still in the deer, you have a double whammy, the end result being not much of a blood trail, at least until the body cavity fills up and starts running out of the entry/exit hole. Even then with the arrow in the deer, not much room for blood to leave body. At least you have 2 holes to leak blood. Been there myself, it's very depressing to follow a trail that only has tiny drops of blood, easy to to be hard on yourself. BUT, if the arrow gets knocked out/broken offget ready for an easy blood trail. You certainly did the right thing by backing out and coming back the next am, i think. Did you kill it?Only way to find out is get out there and do circles, grid search, etc. Maybe a friend with a dog can help you track.

What went wrong? Ha ha welcome to hunting dude. Why do you thing so many of us enjoy this forum? If only to hear about each others misfortunes and know that we aren't alone with crap happening out there!I can hit a quarter at 20 yards without even trying, but the difference between a great shot and a lousy shot is one footstep by the deer, or especially an unseen twig. (or a peep site breaking, lawn mower starting, etc) All we can do is try our best to put the deer down as humanely as possible.

Some things you can try:
- have you shot arrows with practice broadheads? If your bow isn't 100% fine-tuned broadheads can shoot different from field tips. (not sure if you are using fixed heads, etc)
- this is going to sound funny, but when practicing run around and get yourself all worked up, ie heart pounding, etc . Then make your first practice arrow really count. This will help you when the real thing comes strutting by. At least you will know that even with blood pressure sky high, heart pounding, adrenaline flowing you can still hit what you are aiming at.
- also make sure you wear all of your gear when practicing. There is a huge difference practicing in shorts, and then all geared up.

Lastly, if you really try hardto find this deer, you will feel better about yourself as time goes by.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

DO you remeber releasing the string? Most guys that do this can't remember the events right before they shoot because they get worked up. Maybe you jerked the trigger and that pulled your shot off. That would be my first guess. Good luck and stay focused and determined if she's dead youwill find her if you look hard enough
Old 10-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is possible to hit above the spine,

This happened to me last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q52u9ROoFnQ

We looked for 2 days but didnt find him, i hope it works out better for you. Backing out was a good idea.

** Make sure you watch it in high quality
Old 10-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not much I can add that's been said already. Good info everyone! All I can say Is what happened to you Is just plain old bow hunting, that's how It can go at times. Nothing Is a given even If you practice all the time. There are so many things that gotta click for It to work out In the end. By the sounds of It you might be above that spine and If so most likely that deer will live. If your below that spine, you caught the top of the far lung. If you did catch that far lung she could still go along ways before expiring. I've seen one lung shot deer go 1/4 of a mile before. You wouldn't think they could do that but trust me they can and will at times. Blood will be tough to find with the high hit but eventually It will bleed decent. Have patience when tracking hits like this.

You seem like a great kid, you've got great Intentions. Good luck with finding her!

Quick Reply: So Upset with myselft...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.