HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Gimicks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/267431-gimicks.html)

kruggy1 10-10-2008 12:59 PM

Gimicks

I wanted to know how much of the stuff on the market for bowhunting or just deer hunting in general is really needed or just a gimick? If your not carefull you could end up with alot more than needed, If you try carrying it all you couldexeceed your wieght limit in your stand..lol. I have been deer hunting since "92" and alot of you are more experienced and in the woods more, I would like to hear your opinions!!

P.S. Im not wanting to affend or upset anyone by this ???

Thanks Kruggy1

bcvd45 10-10-2008 01:01 PM

RE: Gimicks

Well all you really need is a bow, some arrows, some camo, and yourself. You don't NEED anything else but it makes it a lot nicer to have. Thermacell works great for bugs and is nice to have around and it doesnt weigh much.

kruggy1 10-10-2008 01:05 PM

Im a true believer of the thermacell myself!!!

Siman08/OH 10-10-2008 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

Well all you really need is a bow, some arrows, some camo, and yourself. You don't NEED anything else but it makes it a lot nicer to have. Thermacell works great for bugs and is nice to have around and it doesnt weigh much.
You don't even need that! But we like to give ourselves every advantage, even if its only mentally ;)

The Outdoorsman 10-10-2008 02:05 PM

I dont buy into the need for every type of call on themarket (only use a grunt tube, rattle bad, and doe-in-estrous call) or every different type of buck or doe urine (dont use any to begin with). Just take what I need and go from there, I feel confident in the tools I use so no need to buy up this gimick or that.

kruggy1 10-10-2008 02:25 PM

PLEASE DONT TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS, ITS JUST MY OPINION!!!!

The one thing that I believe is kind of a gimick is the scent lock clothes, In my OPINION they are not worth an extra $100. I do use silver thread scent killing under layers,and scent wafers. Plus keep all my clothes in a lockable tote with a earth scent wafer inside. Only reason I say this is when you watch hunting shows and they are using them, They still get busted!!!! If they were givin to me by sponsors yes I too would wear them, But cant jusify paying $300 for a jacket. AGAIN JUST MY OPINION!!!

hunter25 10-10-2008 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: kruggy1

PLEASE DONT TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS, ITS JUST MY OPINION!!!!

The one thing that I believe is kind of a gimick is the scent lock clothes, In my OPINION they are not worth an extra $100. I do use siver thread scent killing under layers,and scent wafers. Plus keep all my clothes in a lockable tote with a earth scent wafer inside. Only reason I say this is when you watch hunting shows and they are using them, They still get busted!!!! If they were givin to me by sponsors yes I too would wear them, But cant jusify paying $300 for a jacket. AGAIN JUST MY OPINION!!!
Agree 100% with this post. However, the technology does work initially, unfortunately a garment is pretty much used up prior to the purchase. I will say that the quality of the clothing is first rate. Very well made.

MOhunter46 10-10-2008 02:32 PM

I think the biggest gimmick is deer pee. Ive heard lots of stories on how guys just pee on the ground themself and had deer come in to it.

ryker 10-10-2008 03:13 PM

one of the biggest gimicks ive seen is gum-o-flage

wis_rifle_hunter 10-10-2008 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: ryker

one of the biggest gimicks ive seen is gum-o-flage
i wonder who the hell came up with that