Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what if you found someone in your stand >

what if you found someone in your stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what if you found someone in your stand

Old 10-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default what if you found someone in your stand

When i went to set my stand i asked at the office what should i do. They told me i had the right to tell a person to leave if i found them in my stand hunting. They also told me if need be call a C.O and they would handle it.

What worries me is some people might not want the cops around so they might not let you make that call.

So if you found someone in your stand on public land would you ask them to leave or call a C.O.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what if you found someone in your stand

Didn't think you could leave a stand up on public land? Or there is no way I would without being in it myself.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

What office? Are you on public land?

I don't know the regs of the area you are hunting, but whatever their rules are for stands iswhat you should follow.

On some public areas you can hang stands, but others can use them if they find them. Not that it's sportsman-like, but it can be done.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

Climb half way up, take down the steps leave em in the stand.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABrent

BINGO....I'd have my climbing stick off that tree so fast.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PABrent

That's funny.

In PA you're not allowed to leave stands on public land, although that doesn't stop people. On private land you are not allowed to hunt in anyone's stand but your own even if you have permission on the property. So, yeah I'd call the CO if I were put in that position.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would ask them to leave nicely and if the give you a hard time just leave and then call who you need to call. I think 99% of the hunters out there would NOT give you a hard time.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

On some public areas you can hang stands, but others can use them if they find them. Not that it's sportsman-like, but it can be done.
That's the way it is here. If you leave your stands on public land, others can use them. Again- not that's it 'right' - but they are not technicallybreaking the law (may be different other places).

Personally I would be as nice as possible at first. I would probably say you were planning on hunting your stand today (hopefully they get out on there own) - and may consider moving it at the end of the hunt.... I've never done it, but personally I would be SUPER embarassed if someone caught me in there stand - they wouldn't have to ask twice to get me to move!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:04 PM

on public land nothing, not allowed to leave stands up. If it was my land, my rotties would eat good for a few weeks.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:07 PM

i would just climb right up and sit right next to them without saying a word. Then slowly nudge into the seat, put my arm around them and make them as uncomfortable as possible. It is only if they start doing it back that you have to worry.

Quick Reply: what if you found someone in your stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.