HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   1st shot at live animal happened 2 hrs ago (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/267203-1st-shot-live-animal-happened-2-hrs-ago.html)

Steelhead31 10-09-2008 08:09 AM

1st shot at live animal happened 2 hrs ago

I know you guys hate posts without pics, but, unfortunately, I don't have one. 20 minutes into my first time out this season, a scrappy 6 pt. meandered directly towards me. He got within 20 yards, and I released my first ever arrow at a live animal. 30 minutes later, I checked my arrow buried in the earth to discover it was completely clean. I had missed (deflection)my first opportunity to harvest a deer. The pain is so bittersweet. I'm happy to have had such a wonderful opportunity, the feeling was unbelievable, but I am dissapointed hundreds of hours of preparation didn't pay off in the "big game." I'm grateful I didn't wound him, and will be back out tonight, where hopefully another opportunity presents itself.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-09-2008 08:13 AM

RE: 1st shot at live animal happened 2 hrs ago

How could you have a photo of a clean miss, unless you took a picture of the arrow...LOL

It happens, chalk it up to experience and realize, it's not so easy to hit live game compared to a still target. Practice more, watch your openings and cherish the memory.

my7pointmonster 10-09-2008 08:13 AM

Sometimes its not about the hunts that you harvest something on sometimes its the memories made through not Harvesting.

Ryan.

Planter 10-09-2008 08:15 AM

If hunting was just about the kill then I would have given up on it years ago.
Your gonna remember that miss forever even after you connect on Mr. Big. Fun ain't it...

Steelhead31 10-09-2008 08:18 AM

I agree it will be a great memory that I will remember forever even though the outcome wasn't what I anticipated. Thanks for the encouragement.

OKbowhunter20 10-09-2008 08:41 AM

The first TWO deer that I shot at with a bow were clean misses...lol

You seem to have the right attitude about, and that is refreshing. Get back out there a send one through vitals next time:)

Rory/MO 10-09-2008 08:43 AM

Happens to everyone! Get out there and get back at it!

YooperMike 10-09-2008 08:44 AM

Bah! Don't worry about it! Just be glad you missed instead of made a bad hit. I've missed two deer in my career, both I remember vividly, equally as much as the harvests. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. At least it was old mossy horns ghost face that you missed!

kickin_buck 10-09-2008 08:44 AM

There is a big difference between shooting at foam target and a breathing living animal. Targets will almost always have nice clear shooting lanes and your breathing is very different (really true for the first couple of animals you take). It is good that you are looking at this as a positive experience, because it was. It was a great learning experience, one you shouldenjoy. Jump back on the horse and try again.

StealthHtr22 10-09-2008 08:56 AM

I lost count of how many arrows I let fly before bagging my first deer with a bow. Experience is the best medicine. Keep afterit and enjoy being out there. You'll get one.